Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Mystery Announcement

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1585482  by CNJGeep

Amtrak dropped another hint on their Instagram, featuring a V-2 Diner interior.
 #1585486  by Tom V

Bringing back traditional dining for the East coast trains will be a big win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1585519  by Gilbert B Norman

Second Mr. Lord's immediate thought; a Thanx-Xmas "shoulder" fare promotion

All this "fruck fruck" over an ancillary amenity - full service "Dining" - affecting maybe 1% of Amtrak's daily passenger count, is simply not worth the advertising $$$ needed to promote it.

Finally, off the rails, one must wonder if these "ballyhooed" airline passenger counts are everywhere. Yesterday, neighbors of mine flew Northward RSW to MDW (apparently an issue with rental property they own down there). In the course of thanking me for "policing" their house (papers, mail, parcels), he noted how there were open seats on the flight. So who knows, for those willing to "standby" themselves onto a flight, they always seem to get there. I can recall during Jan '19 going ORD to MIA, they were "bribing" passengers off the flight. Here I am in the wait area sitting next to an off-duty Attendant (10yrs seniority, she told me). I'm saying to her "Dear, how are you going to get on when they're buying people off?". To which she said "see you aboard" as my Boarding group was called.

She did.
 #1585542  by Shortline614

I'm prepared to be let down because all the most important Amtrak news always comes out of nowhere and all the mundane news is always hyped up...

In all likelihood it's announcing a a holiday sale or return of dining cars on Eastern trains at the very most.

A friend of mine suggested that it might be Amtrak announcing the LD chargers are officially entering service, but I don't see why they would announce such a thing in that way.

I really, really, really hope it's Amfleet replacements, but I see that as extremely unlikely.

Guess we will find out tomorrow!
 #1585546  by Tom V

It’s absolutely has to do with East coast long distance trains, they posted another video today ( the third) and all the posts included photos or videos of East coast long distance trains (Amfleet II, Viewliner Diner etc)..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1585548  by STrRedWolf

You're talking about the "We're on track for something BIG" post?

That's the B&P Tunnel's north-east-most opening.

So "big" here would be a few things, assuming something around the area or around the NEC.
  • Amfleet III is the Siemens Venture sets. (Yawn, we know already)
  • They're breaking ground on the Fredrick Douglas Tunnel to replace the B&P.
  • The Viewliner 1's are getting rehabbed. Finally.
 #1585558  by Greg Moore

If it weren't for the Amfleet II and Viewliner images, I'd suggest they're about to announce the first Avelia trainset to go into service early, once a day BOS-WAS round trip.

But I like the idea of something LD. Perhaps another NYP-Florida train (the Silver Palm coming back?)
 #1585571  by Gilbert B Norman

From Hampton Inn - Castleton, Indianapolis----

Well, today is Friday November 26; the "day after Thanx.....and "the tension mounts".

Now of course if the concerns over this "South African variant" that I only learned of this AM on the Breakfast Room's TV, prove to have foundation, who's going to want to travel anywhere by any mode?
 #1585586  by lordsigma12345

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:17 am Is this it:

NOVEMBER 26, 2021
Amtrak Kicks Off Annual Track Friday Sale with Buy One Get One Free Offer
That be it. Anybody expecting a dining announcement read way too much into the photos - the return of traditional dining out west was not hyped in that manner and everyone basically knew it was coming before the announcement was made. As Mr. Norman said they aren’t going to hype an amenity on social media like that. When it returned out west they had told already told RPA the date and employees were told in advance of the official announcement and even given the menus. Something like that there’d be rumors galore before it gets announced officially. No way it’s happening anytime soon given the uncertainty regarding staffing - be thankful if we maintain status quo thru the winter with the mandate coming in January.

I am not convinced that a return to full service dining system wide is in the cards. I think if anything maybe a possibility it will come back on a couple more trains (like perhaps the Meteor.) I think what is more likely is a revamped flexible dining with maybe some similar items to some of the new traditional dining options or Acela first options and with maybe a nicer presentation. There are things they can do absent full dining on eastern trains to get the Customer satisfaction scores up for the majority of customers. Management is pleased with the reaction to the new traditional dining format out west but I think they feel the markets and customer base on western and eastern trains have some important differences and I don’t think they believe that approach justifies the cost on routes in the east or routes like the Texas eagle. I could be wrong and maybe it’s coming back everywhere - but that’s my thoughts for right now.
 #1585588  by STrRedWolf

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:17 am Is this it:

NOVEMBER 26, 2021
Amtrak Kicks Off Annual Track Friday Sale with Buy One Get One Free Offer
HTTP/1.1 417 Expectation Failed
Content-type: text/plain

The definition of "big" employed the server is too small. Recalibrate "big" to a larger value.

(For those who didn't get the joke, the announcement requires a proper yay)