Railroad Forums 

• CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1575806  by Knucklehead

It appears as if weekend work has changed. I heard one weekend train referred to as Y-120. It seems like on weekends (either Saturday or Sunday) they run with cars for all customers on the line as far as Ken's Foods in Marlborough and switch Safety Kleen and Kens, then tie the train down for the night at the D'Angelo Drive grade crossing. The next day (either Sunday or Monday), the depart and switch NewCorr in Northborough on their way north with lumber and trash empties. It appears as if during the week they may still do the south customers on one day and north customers the alternate day (but I cannot confirm that).
 #1584708  by Knucklehead

rustyrails wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:40 pm How often does the train run this line past Pratts Junction? How far north does it go? Does it do the same as the P&W running an engine in the front and one in the back?

B724 generally operates north of Clinton to Leominster on Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday serving customers in Lancaster and Leominster. Most often they have two locomotives and run them back-to-back. If I remember correctly CSXT operating rules do not allow placing a locomotive at each end of the train the way P&W does.
 #1585094  by rustyrails

I know I’m reaching now, but what time of day would they be in the vicinity of
Pratts Junction? I know you can almost set your watch on the P&W runs. I’m trying to shoot some photos on that rickety old line for my collection, but no luck so far. What radio frequency do they use, and do they call the Framingham dispatch?
 #1585121  by Knucklehead

rustyrails wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:46 pm I know I’m reaching now, but what time of day would they be in the vicinity of
Pratts Junction? I know you can almost set your watch on the P&W runs. I’m trying to shoot some photos on that rickety old line for my collection, but no luck so far. What radio frequency do they use, and do they call the Framingham dispatch?
I would say 2:00 - 4:00 PM headed north is a safe bet. Some days however it may be a bit later as they may switch NewCorr in Northborough first, otherwise. I believe they are using 161.070. I very rarely hear them calling the Framingham Yard.
 #1600335  by rustyrails

I noticed a train going south on this line Monday (June 20th) while I was on the 290 overpass. I've yet been able to lock down a time or schedule when the train is in Sterling. Does anyone know how far up towards Leominster does the train make stops and to what company? I'm trying to get some videos of the train on the rickety track near Pratts Junc.
 #1600497  by Knucklehead

rustyrails wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:56 am I noticed a train going south on this line Monday (June 20th) while I was on the 290 overpass. I've yet been able to lock down a time or schedule when the train is in Sterling. Does anyone know how far up towards Leominster does the train make stops and to what company? I'm trying to get some videos of the train on the rickety track near Pratts Junc.
The last few weeks, their schedule has been all over the place...not sure what is going on.
 #1604214  by arcadia terminal

The train goes to the Leominster yard and then changes end. There are 2 industries in Leominster, a trash trans load and a plastic manufacture. The are around 18 to 25 cars in the train, the bulk are construction trash the there some times 2 to 6 empty cars from Clinton that are hauled to Leominster as there is no runaround in Clinton. The train will arrive in Leominster late afternoon do its work and depart back early evening 6-8pm.
 #1604236  by F74265A

Last I knew there still was a run around in Clinton, but it is short. It still shows on google maps. In the past they would leave some of the train on the Clinton siding from time to time

Does bestway lumber on the Lancaster/sterling border still get loaded center beams? They were quite active for many years
 #1604311  by Knucklehead

This past Sunday they had only C&D cars for Leominster - no Bestway cars. They went through Southborough later than normal, and tied down for the night on the main just south of the D'Angelo Drive grade crossing in Marlborough, before the Ken's food siding. The Monday crew took the train to Leominster.
 #1607896  by copcars

Southbound freight to Framingham came into Clinton with 30 cars, mostly trash, today Thursday at 3PM,It picked up 14 cars on siding ,mostly tankers, and headed south. 44 cars not bad!
 #1613462  by rustyrails

I saw CSX track car and utility truck working on the track near Sonofi near New York Street in Framingham yesterday. It looks like they did some welding east of the RR crossing. Does anyone know if the train goes by daily or once a week? Try to capture some pictures up near Pratts Junction. I know there's a lumber company neat Sterling CC it stops at.
 #1613485  by edbear

I see a local freight headed out the Fitchburg Secondary probably 5 times a week, sometimes even weekends. Usual departure time from Framingham has been between 10 am and 1 pm.