Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Grade Crossing Incidents

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1584498  by John_Perkowski

#1584548  by kitchin

The car turned onto the tracks.

Brightline has a lot of at-grade crossings in busy areas , except the rail under construction from Cocoa to Orlando. They're upgrading every crossing imaginable it seems, but without plastic stick bollards.
 #1584593  by Erie-Lackawanna

It has been reported on all the local news media (and nearby security camera video seems to confirm this) that the driver attempted to make a u-turn to get off the tracks. I would speculate that she stopped on the tracks (maybe traffic ahead that should have made her stop before entering the railroad right-of-way), and when the crossing protection activated, she tried to escape by making the unsuccessful u-turn.

Jim
 #1584601  by ExCon90

Do high schools still offer driver's ed? Required or elective? (If elective I assume everybody takes it, since it has to be the easiest A in the curriculum -- and the homework is fun.) If so, is there much emphasis on the need to wait on the near side until there's room for you on the far side? Many crossings have signs, but they're disregarded all the time.
 #1584975  by R&DB

I don't have any specific information, but there have been cases where a GPS has told people to turn and they turned onto the tracks instead of the following intersection.
 #1585194  by Ridgefielder

R&DB wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am I don't have any specific information, but there have been cases where a GPS has told people to turn and they turned onto the tracks instead of the following intersection.
There have been documented cases of this actually causing grade-crossing accidents, particularly in situations where a road crosses the tracks just before an intersection. I know of one that happened here, for instance, on MN's Harlem Division: https://goo.gl/maps/ys6mHphMqRBSrtpk9
 #1585283  by arthur d.

electricron wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:28 pm
BandA wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:49 pm Need to idiot proof this by putting gates across the tracks that close when the intersection is open to car traffic, then open when the normal gates close.
The best idiot proof is not to grant idiots licenses to drive. :-D
Lack of a license won't stop idiots from driving.