Railroad Forums 

• CP: From Maine to Mexico!

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1584205  by johnpbarlow

Tidbits from the CPKC Merger filing at the STB re: tonnage growth on the Moosehead from EXHIBIT 14: TRAFFIC DENSITY CPR Year 2020 Average Tons per Mile of Road (000) APP VOL. 2, PAGE 468
CPR MOOSEHEAD EAST BROWNVILLE JCT,ME - BOUNDARY,PQ: Total Gross tons (000): 1,760 actual
CPR MOOSEHEAD WEST BOUNDARY,PQ - MEGANTIC,PQ Total Gross tons (000): 3,312 actual
And then projections at 3 years following the KCS acquisition: EXHIBIT 14: TRAFFIC DENSITY
CPR Growth Plan Year 3 Average Tons per Mile of Road (000) APP VOL. 2, PAGE 490
CPR MOOSEHEAD EAST BROWNVILLE JCT,ME - BOUNDARY,PQ: Total Gross tons (000): 4,264 (2+X growth)
CPR MOOSEHEAD WEST BOUNDARY,PQ - MEGANTIC,PQ Total Gross tons (000): 3,604 (only 10% growth?!?)
 #1584270  by backroadrails

Based off videos on various social media sites, 142/251 have been very short lately, unless Saint John gets a ship in. Most noticeably (it might just be me missing the cars), but I haven't seen a loaded car of Irving lumber in a while going west.
 #1584362  by roberttosh

The only way CP is going to increase traffic on this line is if they can develop more intermodal and unit trains business. There is little growth opportunity for them on the carload side and much of their existing business will be in jeopardy once CSX steps into the picture.