• What's this yard just north of Perth Amboy

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pumpers

I happened to notice on Google Maps a large and new-ish looking (and empty ) yard near a lot of oil tanks just north of Perth Amboy, in the "Vee" made by the junction of the CNJ coming (compass) south from Elizabethport and the PRR line coming southeast from Rahway . What is this?
https://goo.gl/maps/v41p46qWf2SmWvBj8
Just a speculative guess - back when oil trains with Bakken crude oil coming east maybe 10(?) years ago, there were some plans to build a train to ship oil loading facility at Perth Amboy , presumably for export? Maybe this was the off-loading site?
Thanks, Jim S
I don't think the Perth Amboy oil transfer ever really got going though. Maybe when fracking got going big in Texas it drove the price so low that the Bakken crude didn't make sense anymore. But I really don't know.
  by SecaucusJunction

I believe this is Motiva and those are ethanol tanks… if I’m thinking of the correct area
  by R&DB

Yard is not emty, zoom in and you can see a bunch of tank cars.
  by CR7876

Buckeye.

Motiva is north of That by about a mile.
  by pumpers

R&DB wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:41 pm Yard is not emty, zoom in and you can see a bunch of tank cars.
Regarding Google maps, looking today I don't see any cars - all I see are ties, except for the white section at each unloading area. But I have seen before when GOogle maps shows you different images at different days.

Methanol makes sense, but I do think Motiva is further north towards Sewaren, but I'm not the expert. I am talking about a location directly north of and adjacent to the PRR/CNJ junction, near where CNJ had its "WC" tower. There is space for about 100 cars spread over ~6 tracks, and it looks like each car site has its own unloading connection.

I wonder how fast they can turn around a 100- tank car train?
  by R&DB

#1584106 by pumpers
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:51 am
I zoomed in on your linked map. It clearly shows a bunch of black tank cars. The Google maps data at the bottom of the maps states the imagery is 2021.
  by CharlieL

I, too, zoomed in on the link, saw zero cars. Ran magnification up and scanned down each track. Is google messin with us?
  by R&DB

Google maps must use different imagery depending on when the user last updated G maps.