Railroad Forums 

• Fifty Years of Amtrak: Your best memories

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1573456  by jonnhrr

The mention of timetables reminded me of A-day May 1 1971. A bunch of us railfans at school in "the Leaky Valley"
Bethlehem PA coincidentally were planning a trip that day which was Saturday down to Philly. The only question was, would the Reading RDC to Philly still be running or would it be another casualty of the Amtrak takeover? No internet in those days, no checking of RR.net. We showed up at the station and waited. The scheduled departure time came and went. No train. We were just about to give up when we heard the crossing gates on 3rd St. go down and the RDC slowly rumbled in about 20 minutes late. We gratefully scrambled aboard.

Oh the timetables. When we got to "cennercity" we immediately made a beeline for 30th Street and the information desk and got our copies of the first Amtrak System Timetable. I still have mine somewhere in my little collection. I remember time spent in the dorm poring over it imagining all the cool places you could go. Some of those I plan to be finally getting to 50 years later this September.
 #1575098  by Gilbert B Norman

Favorable:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-i-w ... ins-2021-7

Fair Use:
I went aboard Amtrak's new long-distance trains aiming to transform America's languishing rail network and now I want to take a cross-country train trip

Amtrak is spending $28 million to upgrade long-distance trains and make journeys more enjoyable.

Each class of service will see upgrades from coach to sleeper cars, as well as the dining car.

Train travel is still slower than air travel but the new upgrades make it more enticing.
Otherwise, posted without comment.
 #1580504  by jbvb

A couple of good memories from 1976: My first views of northern New Mexico and Arizona, the California coast up to San Luis Obispo, and over Stampede pass. A great burger riding the Cardinal out of Chicago on the old C&O. Splurging on my first sleeper Philadelphia - Montreal.

Later, Glenwood Canyon and the Front Range from the Zephyr.

But the most singular thing I've seen was the rolling hills of northern New Mexico covered with flowers in June of 2014. They appeared on and off for miles in the area of Las Vegas.
 #1582910  by n2cbo

My best memory was back when I was in college. During one of our winter breaks, my girlfriend (at the time) and I went to Montreal from New York to see a concert (Both of us were classical music students). When we were about to leave Montreal, we had a GREAT idea. Amtrak had a thru sleeper from Montreal all the way to Florida at that time. We had an extra two weeks to kill so we booked a bedroom on the thru sleeper and ended up coming back from winter break with fresh suntans.
 #1583547  by Bobby S

I just have to say I was very lucky to have 1st taken Amtrak in the 80s. I got to check out the Heritage cars, the Slumber coaches and early lounge/dinettes/diners while they were still run. That first train to Florida still had a Diner/buffet car on it!!! I got to try the domes on the LSL and the Capitol Limited in the 90s. AWESOME TIMES!!! The trains were mixed so the old school Heritage diners and lounges were still used. Sconce low level lighting. Chair seating at tables was awesome! Made for a much more intimate experience and fun when meeting other passengers! Movies in the lounge as well! Cross country just ruled going this way! Non descript brands of food/drinks as well as some more known in the snack/cafe car were offered at way more reasonable prices than today by far! and quality/service was superior!!! The old school vibe of the vintage interiors were still well utilized. I miss these times! I know things change and they have for sure but this is my story for post!!!
 #1586896  by F40CFan

1) Getting off at Grand Junction Colorada during the winter to make a snowball and bring it up to a couple in the Sightseer Lounge that had never touched snow before.

2) Riding west on the California Zephyr in Utah watching huge lightning bolts hit mountain tops in the distance.

3) Riding in a Slumbercoach on the Broadway Limited around Horseshoe Curve.

4) Remembering not to flush the old-style toilets when passing through Gary Indiana because it smelled worse outside.
 #1589037  by Philly Amtrak Fan

Glad to hear several Broadway Limited mentions in this thread!

My first Amtrak ride was actually either the Illini or City of New Orleans between Champaign, IL and Chicago as I was a student on the University of Illinois at the time. My first long distance was the Broadway between Chicago and then Harrisburg. I found a schedule that you could connect at Harrisburg to Scranton and then found out the same bus went to my hometown of Wilkes Barre. That unfortunately was the only time I rode the BL. The next time I took the Three Rivers (the first time it attached to the Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh, then for a few times it was a separate train). Since then it's been connect in Washington or New York (I won't connect in Pittsburgh because of the lousy times and station). My first cross country trip was when I went to Los Angeles on the Southwest Chief. I had (and still do) have family in the Chicago area so I have never had to spend three whole days on the train from coast to coast, I can always stop in Chicago to get a break. One time I visited family in Utah as well and used that as my break point on my way to San Fran. I've also visited Florida several times and Texas once. The last time I've been on a plane was 1995 but I've made three trips between Pennsylvania and California since then.
 #1613719  by MEC407

My first experience riding an Amtrak train — and my first experience riding an intercity passenger train of any kind — was on December 14, 2001 when I had the honor of traveling aboard the Downeaster inaugural train from Boston to Portland.

I was working for a local newspaper at the time, which is why I was able to get a ticket for this highly exclusive train. As we traveled northward, we were greeted at each station by marching bands, local dignitaries, and TV camera crews. It was a very special day: the first passenger train to Maine in decades.

Aboard the train were mayors, town managers, state representatives and state senators, governors, members of Congress, railroad presidents, and many of the ordinary people who worked so hard to bring Amtrak to Maine.

Without question, it was my most special and most memorable Amtrak experience. I doubt I'll ever be able to top it. :)
 #1618092  by Emmett

As I am only in. my teens now I have to watch videos to see what I call "the golden years" of amtrak (when they had AEM-7's and E60's). I wish I had a reliable phone/camera before my 8th grade year and had been a railfan then because I would have seen SEPTA's aem's. MAN, did those things horns sound good! Now I grow up in what I'm going to call "amtrak rebuilding pt 2" as "pt 1" would have been after inheriting all the private RR equiment. "pt 2" now includes the ALC-42's,SC-44's, Siemens venture sets, new cabcars, and the Acela II's/Avelia liberties. while I am very much excited for the ALC's I will miss the P42's. I can't say the same for the Avelia's that are coming in. I want the old acela's to stay.

Anyway, I have some memories of older septa equipment, specifically the AEM/ALP fleet. I miss being able to get on a silverliner and see them sitting there in Overbrook maintenance. and now rumor has it the diesels will be up for sale. I know that diverted from Amtrak but I still wanted to share it.

( I never saw amtk AEM's in service )

-Emmett
 #1618093  by Emmett

jonnhrr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:01 am turned around and rode back on the "Big Apple" a Harrisburg to New York train that was at the time the only train on the Harrisburg line that ran with an electric, an AEM-7. They are now in their thirties but they still remember that trip.

Jon
Hey, If you have any pictures of your own of AEM-7's please send them my way by RR.net DM!
 #1624752  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - For my personal milestone 5000th post I am going to remember my FIRST Amtrak long distance
train ride on Train #41 The Broadway Limited - New York Penn Station to Chicago Union Station - 50 years
ago TO THE DAY of my arrival in Chicago on Tuesday June 26, 1973...

Back then I was in my early teens just finishing up Grade 7 in JHS the previous Friday...Our family of four
got reserved coach seats on #41 NYP-CHI...I was so enthused for this trip that I got virtually no sleep for
the entire trip on the personal thought "of not missing anything" enroute to Chicago to visit my relatives
residing on the SW Side of the City. From The Amtrak April 29, 1973 National Schedules - Page 28 left:
(My device has NO scanning capabilities)

Train #41 The Broadway Limited
Leave New York-Penn Station 4:55 PM EDT - Mile 0
Newark, NJ - 5:10 PM - Mile 10
Trenton, NJ - 5:50 PM - Mile 58
North Philadelphia, PA - 6:18 PM - Mile 85
Paoli, PA - 6:48 PM - Mile 111
Lancaster, PA - 7:35 PM - Mile 159
Arrive Harrisburg, PA - 8:09 PM - Mile 194
----------------------------------------------------------------
Train #541 WAS-HAR - VIA Perryville
Washington, DC - 4:35 PM - Mile 0
Capital Beltway, MD - 4:48 PM - Mile 10
Baltimore, MD - 5:20 PM - Mile 40
Harrisburg, PA - 8:00 PM - Mile 141
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Depart Harrisburg 8:24 PM - Mile 194
Altoona, PA - 10:54 PM - Mile 325
Johnstown, PA - 11:41 PM - Mile 362
Pittsburgh, PA - 1:25 AM - Mile 439
Canton, OH - 3:16 AM - Mile 541
Crestline, OH - 5:03 AM - Mile 628
Lima, OH - 6:15 AM - Mile 700
Fort Wayne, IN - 6:20 AM (Indiana Time) - Mile 759
Gary, IN (5th & Chase Street) - 8:16 AM - Mile 882
Chicago, IL - Union Station 9:00 AM CDT - Mile 907

Equipment - Train #41 and #541 The Broadway Limited NYP/WAS-CHI
New York-Chicago: Lounge Car (Recreation); Dining Car (Twin-Unit); Sleeping Cars (Roomettes and Bedrooms)
Slumbercoach (Single and Double Rooms); Coaches (Reserved Seats)
Washington-Chicago: Sleeper-Lounge Observation (Bedrooms and Buffet Service); Sleeping Car (Roomettes and
Bedrooms); Coach (Reserved Seats). Checked baggage handled between New York and Chicago (except to and
from Canton, Crestline, Lima, OH and Gary, IN); Sealed Baggage Car between Washington and Chicago.

From my recollections #41 left NYP ON TIME - One GG1 locomotive with about 12 cars westbound...We made
good time on the electrified NYP-HAR portion of the trip...I learned very quickly how to ride "Dutch Doors"...
As we were nearing Harrisburg remembering the flooding from Hurricane Agnes the year before a Trainman
mentioned something about the depth of the floodwaters that stood out in my mind - there was a industrial
plant in Steelton that manufactured tools and work implements - paint used had floated on top of the flood
waters leaving a discernible line showing how deep the Susquehanna River was in June 1972 in that area...

The engine change at Harrisburg added the cars from the Washington section - power west was at least
three (or four) E units...Left on or close to schedule for the ride over the former PRR Middle Division with
my memory of crossing the Rockville Bridge after dusk...Ate Dinner with my Family between HAR-ALT...
Rode a Dutch Door-Left Side to view the Horseshoe Curve after ALT through the Gallitzin Tunnel...JST
was a fascinating station with its twin high-level platforms that were in a very deteriorated condition
(Johnstown, PA Station Platforms replaced with twin low-level platforms in 1975)...Pittsburgh Penn
Station was a fascinating place - I will not forget how the platform concrete twinkled with whatever
concrete alloy that was used - I learned to ask the Train Crew first about leaving times at stations to
take precaution and not chance being left behind...Rode a Dutch Door leaving PGH west up the Ohio
River towards Conway Yard and the PA-OH State Line just E of East Palestine, OH (48.5 from PGH)...

We were less than one hour late into Canton, OH - the train would have slow orders on PC track across
north central Ohio account of track conditions as a result of recent heavy rains west of Canton through
Crestline towards Lima remembering crossing some swollen rivers at/near flood stage along with PC
ongoing track work...After Fort Wayne our family rode in the stainless-steel blunt-end Observation Car
westward remembering the train running at maximum operating speed to make time on the mostly
level straightaway track for the 122 miles between FWA and Gary...After Gary the former PRR went
through the Calumet Industrial District to the IN-IL State Line entering the City of Chicago...

The ride northwest through Southeast Chicago went along fast on the former PRR route - remember
going through Englewood then over the Dan Ryan Expressway and its CTA Rapid Transit Route - and
Englewood "L" line than due north towards Downtown Chicago - I remember that the line passes by
Comiskey Park (then-home of the Chicago White Sox) on the way towards the South Branch Bridge.
Seeing Downtown Chicago for the first time was quite a sight - the Sears Tower (under construction
at that time) stands out to me for its domination of the Chicago skyline...

Train #41 arrived into Chicago Union Station around three hours late - this actually made picking up
our family by the relatives easier - had the train been on time for the originally scheduled 9 AM arrival
they would have had to deal with morning peak traffic to drive in to Downtown...Our relatives even on
that first ride to the SW Side took the extra effort to show us around Chicago - "My Kind of Town" which
peaked my interest - I remember obtaining a copy of the Standard Oil Street Map of Chicago early on -
which I studied in depth to learn the geography of the City - Example: 8 long blocks equal one mile...

For a few days afterwards I had strange hallucinations or flash-backs from the train ride - I was literally
an insominiac on board "not wanting to miss anything" getting almost no sleep with my adrenaline...
I later learned that this was a form of "motion sickness" most likely from never traveling long duration
before - that interestingly never occurred again in subsequent rail (or car) travel...

In closing this first-ever long distance train ride stands out in my mind as one of my best memories from
my teen years - because of the personal logistics this would be the one and only time we would all travel
together as a family of four - I would eventually travel by myself NYP-CHI beginning in the Summer of 1975.
If you have any interest in trains or rail transit you will never forget your first significant ride...MACTRAXX
 #1625011  by R Paul Carey

With thanks to MACTRAXX, I recall - with a smile, Amtrak #41 of May 1, 1972.

For Amtrak's First Anniversity #41 introduced Amtrak's "new look". All the cars in this train had been refurbished; it was the first train to present an unbroken stream of red-white-and-blue, a very welcome departure from the "circus train" appearance of most Amtrak trains, especially in the East.

Festivities included appearances of Gloria Swanson at NYP and a welcome by Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley, the living symbol of strong-arm machine politics, on arrival at Chicago.

For Amtrak management, it was an "all hands on deck" event, including President Roger Lewis.