Railroad Forums 

• Caboose in back yard in Retsof

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1196235  by sd80mac

On June 17th, I was heading home after baseball game on Rt 63 and red "shack" caught my attention. It is clearly caboose to me

I recall that BRP and others were discussing about the caboose (GW?) that was missing. I am wondering if this is it?

location of this caboose is
http://goo.gl/maps/MMXTk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1196243  by BR&P

I used to know where that was/is. Either I got mixed up or it moved, because the last time I looked could not find it.

It's former G&W. They bought 4-wheelers from both BR&P and DL&W. I'd love to get measurements, maybe we could determine which it was.

Good find! Glad to hear it's still around, I was afraid someone burned it down.
 #1301327  by BR&P

I think we have a breakthrough here guys. I was perusing Scottychaos' G&W roster site and came across photos of non-revenue equipment.

Here's a photo of the DL&W caboose #7:

And here's a pic of the shed:

The shed, which is what Ken posted in the original post, has 2 windows. The DL&W caboose only has one. And note the difference in the curved grab iron, as well.

Now look at this pic of a Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh 4-wheel caboose noting windows and especially the grab iron.

Admittedly the window placement is not exact, but obviously through the years changes could be made.

I believe the shed Ken has posted is NOT the G&W #7 from the DL&W, but BR&P caboose #11 which became G&W #6 back in 1926. Now wouldn't THAT make a challenging restoration candidate, and a nice companion to the former BR&P 8-wheel caboose at the R&GV museum!
 #1302449  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:Now wouldn't THAT make a challenging restoration candidate, and a nice companion to the former BR&P 8-wheel caboose at the R&GV museum!
I wish that caboose was in the R&GV collection, but GNWR 8 belongs to New York Museum of Transportation.

http://nymtmuseum.org/RailEquipment.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1302501  by BR&P

Otto Vondrak wrote:
I wish that caboose was in the R&GV collection, but GNWR 8 belongs to New York Museum of Transportation.

http://nymtmuseum.org/RailEquipment.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
Well, it could go either way. BR&P #11 could go with BR&P 281 at R&GV, or paint it as G&W 6 to go with G&W 8 at NYMT. Or paint one side as one, and the other side as the other! :wink: (FWIW, G&W 8 is itself a former DL&W caboose).

(Otto, re-reading your post, I think you're mixing up the two 8-wheel cabooses which are already at the respective museums)
 #1583379  by BR&P

After almost 7 years, I've got to poke this thread back to life. I am told there is discussion of G&W cabooses on Facebook and there was some question about the 4-wheelers which this thread may clarify.

HOWEVER, it appears that over time, one of the images has been replaced with a pic of a toy loco, which has no relevance to the caboose. I have no beef with whoever owns the pics, but to avoid confusing anybody who is digging, let's note that pic has been changed. Can anybody re-post the one that was on here before?
 #1583381  by sd80mac

And mine is gone... i would have to look it up tmw night.. maybe wed night...

Did u ask scott if he had switched photos? I assume that u used link to share the photo?
 #1583385  by BR&P

Ken, I'm not on Facebook, a friend asked me a couple questions which jogged my memory that we had talked about it here. I just did a search to find the thread, and saw the model pic. I was doing other things (to be specific, I was in the garage working on my former E-L Chevy truck :-D ) and didn't bother doing anything further.

A few years ago, various folks chipped in and helped rescue the LV caboose which is now at Industry just before it was scrapped. I'm wondering - IF that shed is still in existence today, maybe the folks at the museum would accept the thing if the owner were to donate it, or maybe a few of us could chip in and raise enough to buy them a NEW shed in place of the old. The Buffalo organization has another BR&P 4-wheeler and that could serve as a nice reference if the time comes to re-create the running gear on BR&P 11.
 #1583387  by sd80mac

Ill ask buddy to drive thru tomorrow... to see if its still sitting there.

I assume that we're talking about the one i saw that sit way in back yard, not the one u posted, correct?
 #1583388  by BR&P

I'm not seeing any pics except the yellow model. I think we had a pic of the shed, a pic of G&W 7 from Scot's site, and I think I posted a pic of a different BR&P 4-wheeler to compare windows, grab irons etc. I don't see any of those on the thread now. But re-reading the thread, it seems there were several "family traits" which suggsted the shed was former BR&P, not DL&W.