Railroad Forums 

• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1581579  by CJPat

Was Browns yard used to interchange with the Raritan River Railroad? I know that South Amboy was the huge interchange point for dropping off the coal cars for transfer to the barges as well as for the power plant there. Is it that the PRR kept other freight operations out of South Amboy to keep things clear for the many coal trains dropping off?

If so, that would have rooted everything over at Browns Yard when they discontinued the use at South Amboy. The freight down the C&A was not that significant that they needed all that space in South Amboy plus there was the whole property tax issue for the large South Amboy Yard itself. Why keep all that property and get taxed for it if you don't have enough other freight to make it worthwhile?

South Amboy used to also have an engine facility where they exchanged the electrics coming down from the north for the diesel run down south. When did they first string the electric to Matawan? That would have ended the engine transfer in South Amboy.

Basically, Browns Yard was better sized to handle the amount of freight heading south from there and cheaper too (as far as taxes go).

Just my supposition.
 #1581581  by R&DB

#1581579 by CJPat
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:45 pm
The Raritan River RR interchanged in South Amboy South of the station with the NY&LB.
Electrification reached Matawan in the late 1970s. I think it was 1978.
And don't forget the C&A was electrified all the way out to Monmouth Junction on the NEC. That's the route the coal trains took.
 #1581585  by GSC

The Pennsy once had its own freight interchange with the Raritan River RR, off the C&A.

The tax issue makes sense as far as closing the South Amboy coal yard within that curve. I was just wondering since Brown's seems so far away from South Amboy. But interchanging with Raritan River RR at Gillespie made sense directly from Brown's.

Just a case of "what if".
 #1581604  by CJPat

R&DB wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:00 pm #1581579 by CJPat
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:45 pm
The Raritan River RR interchanged in South Amboy South of the station with the NY&LB.
Electrification reached Matawan in the late 1970s. I think it was 1978.
And don't forget the C&A was electrified all the way out to Monmouth Junction on the NEC. That's the route the coal trains took.
Thank You R&DB
 #1582478  by GSC

Looking for a little change of scenery. When does OI-16 come in from across the Raritan to Browns? Any specific time frame, or as needed? I've heard that OI-16 has towed SA-31 back to Browns a few times, just wondering when he comes in to town. I don't recall seeing any pics of it.
 #1583308  by Bracdude181

OI-16 is going to leave Port Readings inbounds at West Siding on the Garden State Secondary and then immediately head for Browns. To my knowledge this will be the first time OI-16 has actually made it to Browns before their shift ends in quite some time.

Don’t know what engines they have but I think it’s CSX 8833 and CSX 1712 (SD40E3 rebuild)

7:12 pm
Update: OI-16 will get held up as NS 294 is on the way. I assume they will leave once 294 is past.

294 should be at CP RON shortly.

7:32 pm
OI-16 Southbound at CP RON 7:32 PM

CSX 8029 leading with CSX 1712 trailing.

8:18 pm
Train went through Perth Amboy Station about 15 minutes. Had to stop for a bit for what I presume was a PTC issue.

8:32 pm
OI-16 has stopped at Cheesequake Rd for a quick break.

8:46 pm
Through Cheesequake Rd 8:46 PM
 #1583925  by jdh823

JDRails wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:02 am Does the local that serves Dayton operate only on Tuesdays? Caught the train after it crossed Culver Road in Dayton last Tuesday.
Tuesday's and Friday's are the general schedule for it if all is going right.
 #1583928  by Bracdude181

@jdh823 Doesn’t SA-3 do the Dayton runs now? Would that mean they still run Tuesday and Friday?

Side note: Dayton has been getting much larger trains lately. 25 or more cars. Guess the E-Commerce boom means more business for all the distribution centers out there...
 #1583968  by jdh823

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:46 pm @jdh823 Doesn’t SA-3 do the Dayton runs now? Would that mean they still run Tuesday and Friday?

Side note: Dayton has been getting much larger trains lately. 25 or more cars. Guess the E-Commerce boom means more business for all the distribution centers out there...
SA-3 only does it Fridays if 31 has to bring the lakewoodntrain up.

And no, hasn't poked 25 cars in a while. It's been averaging 10 but now has hit 15-20 since Sappi is getting more cars out there. The line is generally paper products, plastic, and corn syrup.
 #1585680  by R&DB

Will the Santa Train run this year? If so, 2nd Saturday in December. Or is Covid-19 precluding it this year.
 #1585683  by Bracdude181

@R&DB Conrail no longer runs the Freehold Santa Train. The only similar train is the Toys For Tots train which NYSW and Chesapeake and Delaware will be hosting starting next weekend. Other rail museums in NJ are also doing their Christmas trains with the exception of the Pine Creek Railroad.