Railroad Forums 

• The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1582838  by freightguy

It looks like the signals are similar to the NYCTA or Metro North in Grand Central. Three signal bulbs maybe red, yellow, and green for the different aspects. I can't see the ride being quick once you hit Roosevelt Island probably a slow crawl through the curves and then down into Grand Central. Especially now with Positive Train Control.
 #1582839  by photobug56

The curves - I've never actually heard anything about how tight they are. Part of me would like to think they'd be gradual, but I also understand that even as deep as much of this is, that they still have to be threaded among other tunnels and utilities (which tend to be shallow). I don't think PTC would slow things down except as actually needed for other trains and for calculated safe speeds, and in fact could speed up things by being far more precise.
 #1582989  by freightguy

photobug56 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am Am I wrong to see PTC as a positive thing to maintain safest top speeds while avoiding going too fast for conditions?
Yes, but that is why they pay a competitive wage to the two busiest commuter railroads in the United States. You're required to know multiple manuals, the speeds, and outside surroundings. You take that info and upload to a module in the locomotive/cab car, it spells trouble vs using your memory daily for the territory. It used to be the physicality and danger of the job. Today it's all the memorization and required certifications.
 #1583026  by photobug56

gamer4616 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:27 pm
photobug56 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am Am I wrong to see PTC as a positive thing to maintain safest top speeds while avoiding going too fast for conditions?
The automatic speed control system has done that for decades.
So PTC should have little affect on speed compared to the previous LIRR automatic speed system. Only bad thing I ever heard about that was that in some areas it was never programmed for appropriate speeds, but now it is.
 #1583028  by gamer4616

Jamaica, Atlantic Terminal, and Penn Station are not equipped with PTC. There are too many moving parts and not enough bandwidth available to handle it.

Where it slows things down are reverse moves and the lengthy certification process.

There are bugs still being worked out. It is working most of the time.
 #1583077  by hxa

From https://new.mta.info/document/58631 :
M8 fleet has been experiencing in-service PTC anomalies due to software defects. MNR is actively
working with Alstom and Kawasaki to address these variances.
 #1583139  by photobug56

There's a part of me, the geek and systems analyst part (plus my involvement in aspects of NYC transit and LIRR issues dating back to the 80's) that would like to get that report regularly - and another part that reminds me that I'm not paid to read it! :-) I know people who do get it... I was a software developer for decades, DBA, project manager, etc. and this was a reminder of all of the above including SDLC. Reminds me that PTC upgrades, still essentially Gen 1, will be coming for years.

I also have to remind myself that a lot of what is in PTC is not new, though perhaps the standards may be higher now, the need to be consistent about its use much more important.
 #1583846  by MNCRR9000

The long-delayed East Side Access project connecting the Long Island Rail Road to Grand Central Terminal is being unveiled Sunday.

Gov. Kathy Hochul will be there for the first ride before its grand opening to the public, CBS2’s Christina Fan reported.

The project has been a dream for Long Islanders who need to get to the East Side of Manhattan. It could shave commutes by 40 minutes per day.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/10/31 ... -terminal/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1583853  by MACTRAXX

MNCR and Everyone: Watched this CBS2 report - and will mention that the target for ESA to finally open
will be about one year from now - to coincide with the completion of the Main Line Third Track Project.
Let's hope that these major 2022 changes for the LIRR go into service without any further complications...
MACTRAXX
 #1583874  by jhdeasy

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:12 pm Does everyone one know the first official trip from Jamaica to Grand Central operated today at 8:04 AM?
I know that the Governor of NY conducted a media event with a LIRR special train to GCT this morning. I assume someone will post the details here shortly.