Railroad Forums 

• Alco maintenance manuals

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1018552  by jjsatorm

I've started a project to scan & post maintenance manuals for Alcos. Purpose is to provide anyone needing one ready access. They are posted at the Fallen Flags site:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/manual.html

So far, I've posted maintenance for the RS11/RSD12/RS18; and the S1/S2/RS1. Also, truck maintenance, and the manual on 244 engine governors. The rest will get posted when I get them scanned.
 #1019001  by Allen Hazen

This is a great project! These manuals, readily available in pdf form, will be a great resource for railroad history and railroad preservation. Thank you!
 #1019103  by jjsatorm

I've still got maintenance & electrical for the C420, 251 engine maintenance, and parts for RS11 and RS3, plus some misc., to be scanned. I'll put out the challenge to any one else who wants to help out-if you got manuals that you're willing to share, I'll work with you to get them scanned in.
 #1359362  by railfan365

One thing that wasn't clear to me from the RS-3 manual: Was the long hood always the front? Or did the LIRR just choose to run them that way most of the time?
 #1359372  by Allen Hazen

railfan365--
While we wait for someone who actually KNOWS to post a reply to your question... I think long-hood-front vs short-hood-front was usually a customer specified option in first-generation roadswitchers: the builders would install the controls in whatever configuration the customer wanted. With EMD types (GP-7, GP-9), eastern railroads TENDED (I'm sure there were exceptions) to specify long-hood-forward, and western to specify short-hood-forward. Given the number of different customers who bought the RS-3, I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few ordered set up for short-hood-forward operation!
 #1359380  by Alcoman

Allen Hazen wrote:railfan365--
While we wait for someone who actually KNOWS to post a reply to your question... I think long-hood-front vs short-hood-front was usually a customer specified option in first-generation roadswitchers: the builders would install the controls in whatever configuration the customer wanted. With EMD types (GP-7, GP-9), eastern railroads TENDED (I'm sure there were exceptions) to specify long-hood-forward, and western to specify short-hood-forward. Given the number of different customers who bought the RS-3, I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few ordered set up for short-hood-forward operation!
The CNJ opted for Dual controls on some RS-3;s which allowed for operation either way. CNJ 1554 on the D-L had dual controls when it first arrived in Scranton.
 #1430232  by Alcoman

I sell or trade Maintenance Manuals as well as some parts catalogs for various ALCO and MLW models. Contact me off this forum for a list.
 #1451983  by Alcoman

Alcoman wrote:I sell or trade Maintenance Manuals as well as some parts catalogs for various ALCO and MLW models. Contact me off this forum for a list.

Some of the manuals and parts catalogs I have are 100's of pages including one which is over 1,000 pages. Some are on CD and I will be working to get others placed on CD's in PDF file format. Otherwise, I can provide paper copies.