Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1582664  by Bracdude181

Permission to open up 3:00 PM

Different conductor today. Someone I recognize but I don’t know his name.

CSX 6159 with 1 car for Marjam and about 7 or so for Woodhaven. No tanks today.
 #1582681  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:39 pm You won’t be hearing anything from me for a bit. Flat tire. Can’t leave until AAA shows up.
What is this world coming too? You can't change a flat tire!
I'm 62 stage 4 cancer, taken chemotherapy, and ADT aka female hormones for 4 years...
I could change that flat in 20 minutes!
 #1582683  by CharlieL

Regarding transloading at the former Golds lumber or the adjacent Richards truck park, any truck traffic to that site would need to use Southard Ave. Which means they would need to pass by either Howell high school or the Farmingdale elementary school. There are no other exits negotiable by a truck of any size. And they certainly would not attempt a turn onto Main St. Any truck traffic other than an occasional would cause problems. All turns off Southard other than 524A southbound are very tight. And there are no major highways nearby.
 #1582684  by JohnFromJersey

Train is passing through Farmingdale just before 5:30!

@Tanker1497 quite a scathing comment there, lol. I'm sorry to hear about the cancer, I wish you the best of health.

@CharlieL That is true, they could just use the light at Howell High school and it wouldn't be too bad; the 195 entrance/exit is right there. I also believe they are slated to have some sort of mini (yet still large) industrial park be built across from the middle school down the road from the high school. Either or I don't think that it will be a welcomed venture by the locals, however, since Gold's spot is already there and zoned for industrial (I am assuming), with rail access, the locals might be beat on that one.
 #1582687  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 I tried to but the jack I have on me failed. Sorry to hear about your cancer.

By the time AAA got there the train was already through farmingdale so I’m looking for it south of there.
 #1582688  by R&DB

#1582683 by CharlieL
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:15 pm
So if the problrm is truck traffic, I ask how did all those trailers get to the lot next door?
 #1582689  by GSC

Plenty of large truck traffic at Main and Southard now. It is a tight corner but the trucks handle it. I would go the other way myself. 524A is right there. Other trucks go by the high school. It can be done.
 #1582690  by RailsEast

Best wishes for a successful recovery, brother; you're a tough son of a gun, you got this...

Chris
 #1582698  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:55 pm Through Maxim Southard Road at 6:54 PM
The Southern crosses Maxim Rd, not Maxim Southard Rd. I know, I lived on Maxim for 10 years.
 #1582699  by CharlieL

Transload facility there would need to be a small one, hardly worth the effort. There is a location across from the Richards operation that occasionally gets a trailer backed in. I'm guessing maybe 2 or 3 trucks a day currently use Southard ave. Much more than that would have both Farmingdale and Howell up in arms. Can't see that happening (but I've been wrong before; if you doubt that, talk to my wife. She'll give you a list from each of the 48 years and a couple prior to that).
 #1582700  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:35 pm
#1582683 by CharlieL
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:15 pm
So if the problrm is truck traffic, I ask how did all those trailers get to the lot next door?
It's a storage lot for trailers, at maximum there's only a couple trucks a day, if even, that shuffle the trailers around. I'm assuming that it's an overflow spot for their main spot in Wall on 34. The transloading facility could have barely any trucks or dozens a day, depends on how successful it is. I've never seen any transloading facilities besides the small ones that Brick Recycling, Marjam, and whoever gets the tankers now do, and the huge intermodal facilities out west, so I don't know what to expect with a property the size of Gold's.

Speaking of Brick Recycling, will C&D start to serve them again? I remember a rumor here about how they stopped receiving loads due to how small their shipments were or something to do with Coastline restrictions.