Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Extension Lechmere to Medford

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1579720  by jcpatten

Visited Boston on the Downeaster Friday. Lots of work still to do on the GX on the Lowell Line, but the service facility near BET looks (on the outside) to be complete. In the distance the viaduct looked like it had catenary, although only posts are up next to the Lowell Line. Some spots have track, others don't. No stations were complete yet.

Opposite the GX there's a lot of solid fencing going up, presumably to block light and noise. Not sure I'd want to live in an apartment or house that has a view of a concrete wall, with or without tags.
 #1582287  by theMainer

Any word on the downtown terminals between the opening of the Union Square (D) branch and the Medford/Tufts (E) branch?

Will the E stay at North Station for the time or will it be extended to Union Square or back to Gov Center or Park?

Same goes for the other lines
 #1582312  by BandA

If Union Sq is "D" then trains will run from Union Sq to Riverside. If Medford is "E" then trains will run from Medford to Heath St. Do they still use the "not" sign for the other direction? Do the signs in the GLX stations refer to Inbound/Outbound or some kind of compass direction?
 #1582326  by TurningOfTheWheel

I can't foresee them short-turning trains at the new Lechmere station, so the E branch will probably continue to terminate at North Station until the Medford branch opens. Will be interesting to see if the B/C switch to Gov't Center happens right away with the opening of the Union Square branch or waits until Medford.
 #1582366  by The EGE

Probably will not be turning trains at Lechmere; the nearest crossover is well to the north, at the south end of the Red Bridge viaduct. It might be workable for situations where Lechmere is a temporary terminus (ie if trackwork affects both branches), but not when the Union Square Branch is operating, as it fouls the leads to that branch.

Crossovers on GLX are at the south end of Red Bridge, east of Union Square (the regular turnback for that branch), south of East Somerville, north of Magoun Square, and south of Medford/Tufts (regular turnback). All are universal except for Magoun Square, which is trailing point only. Neither East Somerville nor Magoun Square are likely to be used as termini during track work etc, as neither has any bus layover area available for the shuttles.
 #1582541  by Yellowspoon

T's alerts web page says that effective Sunday, 24-Oct-2021, B&C will terminate at GovCen, and D will terminate at North Station.
Last edited by CRail on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1582552  by bostontrainguy

Interesting. They planned to turn the B trains at GC years ago but killed the idea because the run was so long and subject to delay that they couldn't do it consistently. There will probably be a lot of short turning at Park Street.
Last edited by CRail on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1582599  by TurningOfTheWheel

I think they'll keep the BC at Gov't Center, but I wouldn't be surprised if they extend the C back to North Station not long after the Medford branch opens. Doesn't make much sense to me to not start any empty trains at a major commuter rail hub when you have the option.