Railroad Forums 

• connecting commuter rail lines

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1582546  by STrRedWolf

electricron wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:31 pm MARC has existed since 1984, VRE has existed since 1992. to date they have NOT worked it out.
Why have they not worked it out 5, 10,15,20,,25, up to 30 years ago?
Could the reason be it is far more difficult to work out than you suggest?
Nope, it's not more difficult. It's regular negotiation.

And why it hasn't worked out? Because there was no reason for it to exist back then. There was little or no demand for it. You didn't have a commuter railcar full of people going to Crystal City at one time. I only know for the past 10 years there was the cross-honoring from VRE to MARC (northbound in the morning, reverse evening) because when I was at MTA Maryland, I met a coworker who did just that!

Now, we have Amazon's second headquarters still being worked on (soft paywalled). They are now expecting a lot people to commute in. It's going to need service to the area. Things have changed. You are not Adam Savage. You may not replace reality with one of your own.

So here's my take: CSX, Amtrak, MARC, and VRE are already at the table hashing all of this out. Amazon says it's new HQ will be complete in 2025. The transit and train groups have little more than three years now to get a plan together and enacted... and they started back in 2016.

Now that we've thoroughly derailed the topic of the thread with something that's more in line to the DC area transit subforum, lets move on.