Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1580749  by flexliner

Apologies if I missed any post that might have answered my question.
How did new S Ferry fare in the last storm?
The clips I saw of rain at 28 street and Jefferson Ave IIRC were pretty impressive.

Could outer old SF ever still be used again if ever needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1580771  by Allan

flexliner wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:58 am Apologies if I missed any post that might have answered my question.
How did new S Ferry fare in the last storm?
The clips I saw of rain at 28 street and Jefferson Ave IIRC were pretty impressive.

Could outer old SF ever still be used again if ever needed?

The new SF station was fine. The hurricane/storm did not cause a very high tide (like SuperStorm Sandy did back in 2012) so the stations did not get flooded.

28th St and Jefferson Av got flooded because the storm drains in the street were overwhelmed and since the storm drains couldn't handle the surge the water had to go somewhere - the subway was unfortunately convenient.

The old SF station could be used if the need should arise. The MTA learned a lot from Super Storm Sandy when the new station flooded. They did have to do some work on the old station (making sure the gap fillers worked, cutting a hole in the station wall at the front end to provide for a new exit). That new exit is still there but covered by a roll down gate).
 #1581179  by R36 Combine Coach

Allan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm The old SF station could be used if the need should arise.
Loop still used by 5 weekends and off-peak.
 #1581238  by GirlOnTheTrain

Feel free to ride a Bowling Green drop-out through the loop if you want to see the condition of old South Ferry yourself. Those trains don't get cleaned out before going through. Just be forewarned that the train sits there longer than it does in the Brooklyn Bridge loop. Unlike City Hall, however, old South Ferry is well lit.
 #1581345  by flexliner

If memory serves was there not a time ages ago when some LEX trains (5 or 6 don't recall) used the loop and stopped (outer) in revenue service? probably in the dead of the night as it required two switching moves
so one can ride a 5 from bowling green to bowling green via inner loop?
 #1581350  by Allan

flexliner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 am If memory serves was there not a time ages ago when some LEX trains (5 or 6 don't recall) used the loop and stopped (outer) in revenue service? probably in the dead of the night as it required two switching moves
As I recall this happened in the late 1970s and into the 1980s.

At one time weekend 5 trains used to end/start there (outer) rather than at Bowling Green.

Years later late nite 6 trains were extended to SF (outer) rather than at Brooklyn Bridge.

The inner loop only connects back to Bowling Green. The outer loop can connect to either back to Bowling Green or to Rector St on the 1.

In the past there have been some weekend construction projects where the 5 would come down Lex and go thru the loop in service, not stopping at SF, and going up the 7th Av line making 1 line stops to Chambers and then express (like a 2) back to the Bronx. I rode this a few times.

If you look at the posting just before yours girlonthetrain describes staying the 5 and riding the inner loop.
 #1581556  by GirlOnTheTrain

flexliner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 am If memory serves was there not a time ages ago when some LEX trains (5 or 6 don't recall) used the loop and stopped (outer) in revenue service? probably in the dead of the night as it required two switching moves
You're thinking of the Bowling Green shuttle. There's no switching moves required, it's pretty straightforward.

Every day the 5 (and some 4's) terminate at Bowling Green and use the inner loop to go back northbound. More or less the same procedure as Brooklyn Bridge. As I mentioned before, trains are apt to sit in that loop a lot longer than Brooklyn Bridge - upwards of 15 minutes sometimes, especially during rush hour.
 #1581557  by flexliner

Shut off my lazy button and went googling. Found this on the abandoned stations site.
Confirms my memory of 5 and 6 using SF outer loop to terminate while shuttle used inner loop. As the site notes an unadvertised free transfer.
Yet the lines were shown as if they went to separate stations. Which the shuttle indeed did.

#1581562  by STrRedWolf

I'm going to take a page from The Tracks of the NYC Subway 2021 Edition Release 1, page 19. I think having the track map will be useful here in describing the double loop at South Ferry/Bowling Green and the loop at Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.

There's more info on the book's page 70, but there's enough text on that page to consider holding off due to copyright concerns.
Attachments:
Page 19
Page 19
Tracks of the NYC Subway 2021 Edition-R1-p19.png (721.81 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
 #1581575  by Allan

flexliner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:19 am Image
Shut off my lazy button and went googling. Found this on the abandoned stations site.
Confirms my memory of 5 and 6 using SF outer loop to terminate while shuttle used inner loop. As the site notes an unadvertised free transfer.
Yet the lines were shown as if they went to separate stations. Which the shuttle indeed did.

The Bowling Green Shuttle did use the inner loop platform at SF. When I started work in 1974 in a building across from the Staten Island Ferry terminal, I used the Shuttle to/from Bowling Green. I used it until 1975 when the shuttle became unreliable and it was just easier to walk from BG.

The cars used were modified R12s. The door controls were modified. The regular controls opened the center doors only which were the only doors to open at SF (there were openings in the wall where the center doors lined up). At BG the conductor first opened the center doors and then pressed a button to open the other doors. The regular doors closed all the doors.
 #1581613  by R36 Combine Coach

Allan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:15 am The cars used were modified R12s. The door controls were modified.
5703-5706. They began shuttle in service in 1964 after being moved from the 7 Line, replaced by the World's Fair
R33/R36s.
 #1581643  by Allan

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:56 pm
Allan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:15 am The cars used were modified R12s. The door controls were modified.
5703-5706. They began shuttle in service in 1964 after being moved from the 7 Line, replaced by the World's Fair
R33/R36s.
Yes. It should be pointed out that only two cars were in service at any
one time. The platform at Bowling Green is only two cars long.