Railroad Forums 

• The 22 worst companies to work for

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1574001  by BR&P

Here's a link to a listing by MoneyWise.com of the 22 worst companies to work for. Some familiar names there - Steak N Shake, Dollar General, Office Max, Gannett...

Obviously there are many ways to compile such a list (they explain where they got their statistics) but here's THEIR take on it anyway. https://moneywise.com/managing-money/em ... o-work-for

By the way, in case you are wondering, CSX was rated 5th worst, NS was ranked 2nd worst, and UP was named the worst company in the nation to work for!
 #1574014  by eolesen

It's Glassdoor. Essentially a place where bitter employees get to piss and moan, and there's no validation that people who post there actually worked for the company.

People who are content don't usually seek out avenues to heap praise on their employer, but there's no shortage of sites where people can complain.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1574023  by BR&P

Agreed, there are disgruntled employees everywhere. And "worst" is impossible to define exactly so the "rankings" are not something you can take to the bank.

On the other hand, it would appear that those 3 Class I's have somehow prompted the highest number of bellyaches of companies addressed. It may not be scientific or precise, but one cannot totally dismiss the complaints either. SOMETHING is prompting the dissatisfaction, to a higher degree than at various other places.

I find it interesting that of the 4 big US Class I's, those 3 all made the top 5, while BNSF is nowhere in the top 22.
 #1581399  by Engineer Spike

With the implementation of PSR, the railroad have really changed the working environment. As I have mentioned, PSR is somewhat of a misnomer. It is really a means to get maximum profit wrung out of the company. I'm working a haulage train presently, and have to deal with crews from one foreign roads on each end of my run. I'm also a statewide union official. The story amongst the crews is the same. To save money, the railroads have been holding off as much as possible on hiring. This often results in crew shortages. To top it off, the companies have implemented strict attendance policies. It often feels like one is on an endless treadmill. Crews are worked continuously right to the legal limit.

With these policies in place, even when new employees are hired, there is an exceptionally high turnover rate. The work ethic of the millennials is not what it war with past generations. Additionally, railroads have not kept up their formerly generous compensation packages. Other industries have sought up or surpassed these. Outside of economically depressed areas, there is no incentive to stay.
 #1590026  by toolmaker

A good measure of how an organization treats its employees is their retention rate.