Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack Railroad 2021 Season

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1575690  by ut-1

Adirondack's season began the weekend of July 3rd with local service between Thendara (Old Forge)-Otter Lake.

On July 10th, Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern No. 2042 provided the power for the first Utica-Thendara run since 2019 (one of the ADK engines usually employed on this run was on work train duty while the other was undergoing an inspection).

This was the first revenue usage of the ADK's dome car (built in 1955 for Union Pacific) and the dining car (built for the NY Central in 1948 and donated by Amtrak).

This short video offers glimpses of the train crossing the Mohawk River, Utica, on Remsen Hill, Prospect, and passing through Woodgate Station.

#1576769  by ut-1

This video, made on July 24th, includes a few highlights of the Utica-Thendara run and also features some scenes in Thendara, including in the station.

Refer to the YouTube description for particulars on locations videoed.

#1577159  by ut-1

A few scenes from today's Utica-Thendara run are presented in this short video, including a slow roll-by past the Cincinnati Creek waterfall in Remsen:

#1578334  by ut-1

This video from August 14th includes views inside Union Station and of Adirondack's dome car interior together with the day's Utica-Thendara train crossing the Big Woodhull bridge in Forestport:

#1579416  by ut-1

I was able to video work train activity yesterday.

There were two shove moves:

1) Thendara-Big Moose (13 empty gondolas & the caboose); and

2) Thendara-4+ miles north of Big Moose to dump ballast (8 hoppers, 100 tons of stones each).

#1580307  by ut-1

This video features a few scenes from the Sept 11th Utica-Thendara run as well as a look around the Thendara station. In Forestport, the train appears to be traveling at or near the line's top speed of 50 mph.

#1581252  by jbvb

I've seen photos of extensive track rehabilitation around Piercefield NY on the line to Tupper Lake. No movements of anything but track equipment yet, but with the ongoing tie replacement, grade crossing re-leveling and drainage work, it might be possible before winter.
 #1581277  by ut-1

jbvb wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 pm I've seen photos of extensive track rehabilitation around Piercefield NY on the line to Tupper Lake. No movements of anything but track equipment yet, but with the ongoing tie replacement, grade crossing re-leveling and drainage work, it might be possible before winter.
They've brought several tie trains up to Tupper Lake (a friend of mine was the conductor on a few of them). Check out the "Railroading Rambler" Facebook group for a few videos & pics showing work trains near Tupper (posted by Bill Moll).