Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1581102  by Hear my train a coming

GSC wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:25 am

I tend to just show up at a crossing somewhere and lean on my car and watch the train go by. A once-a-week trip down the Southern is a special treat to see and I see no reason to be a nuisance to those trying to do their jobs.
That's my railfanning technique as well. I keep my distance from the train and don't trespass on their tracks. I'm not trying to be a nuisance. The only communications from railroad employees has been a friendly wave on rare occasions, so I guess I'm not much of a bother.
 #1581103  by Bracdude181

Through Downtown Lakewood 6:20 PM

Looks like someone vandalized the tracks at the Route 9 crossing. The wires for the lights are missing from the track. Crossing activated as usual though..
 #1581111  by Bracdude181

The train will be tying down at Woodhaven.

Crew said something about Woodhavens switch being broken. Not sure what that’s about.
 #1581152  by GSC

Any info on a return? Might be a good excuse to hang out at Collingwood. Need my hot pretzel fix.
 #1581298  by GSC

When Bel Ray gets a tank car at Brick Recycling, how is it offloaded? I'm thinking product transfers to a tank truck, who has to pull out onto the eternally busy 33/34 and climb that hill, merge to the left and make the U-turn at the diner, then head to the circle and backtrack to Bel Ray?

My truck driving memories make me cringe at that route, especially dealing getting a load up that hill over the bridge while dodging traffic. I don't miss those days.

Kudos to the guy that's doing it.
 #1581318  by R&DB

#1581298 by GSC
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:39 pm
Gary;
Perhaps he doesn't take a full load, leaving him lots of power for the bridge. I used to do that when I had a challenging route ahead. Getting out of Brick's lot is sometimes difficult even in a car. Maybe Brick annd Bel-Ray should consider a pipe / pumping system.
 #1581338  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 pm
#1581298 by GSC
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:39 pm
Gary;
Perhaps he doesn't take a full load, leaving him lots of power for the bridge. I used to do that when I had a challenging route ahead. Getting out of Brick's lot is sometimes difficult even in a car. Maybe Brick and Bel-Ray should consider a pipe / pumping system.
That would be a smart thing to do. Judging from what I can see on Google maps, there seems to be some sort of exit in the back of Brick Recycling onto what seems to be Bel-Ray's access road.

Either or, I wouldn't be shocked if C&D attempted to put a switch off of Brick's switch into Bel-Ray; they are literally on top of each other, and I'd imagine doing so would allow Bel-Ray to have more (and possibly more frequent) carloads.

When's the last time Brick Recycling got any cars for themselves?
 #1581341  by Bracdude181

Brick Recycling and Bel Ray share the tracks within Brick Recyclings facility. When Conrail drops the tank off it sits in a certain spot until Bel Ray unloads it. This spot is an indication to Brick Recycling crews to not work near the car, as their cutting equipment makes a lot of sparks and you don’t want that next to 20,000 or so gallons of Ethanol!

Bel Ray sends a tanker truck during the night to unload the car, going back and forth between the Bel Ray property until the tank car is empty. Supposedly they close off one lane of Route 34 to do this.

The empty tank remains there until Conrail picks it up. They don’t always pick it up on the return trip though.