Railroad Forums 

• Possible first image - new LIRR DMs

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1580854  by Pensyfan19

NHV 669 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:18 pm
Pensyfan19 wrote: If not, then it's a photoshop job which is second in greatness to my own two.
The two MS paint hackjobs that look like an eight year old did them?
Not even MS Paint. I just so happened to have two poorly edited predictions of a LIRR SC44 on my cell phone (quite literally finger painting, that is using a finger for tracing) from three years ago... Nowadays, if I were to make a photoshop design like that, I would use Paint 3D. Much more neat with more bells and whistles. It's what I use for the thumbnails of many of my YouTube videos.

Also, I may have misread the original post as the picture itself being taken at the Siemens Plant, as if it was concept art left around for designers and engineers to follow while building it at the plant.
 #1580866  by NHV 669

Pensyfan19 wrote: I may have misread the original post as the picture itself being taken at the Siemens Plant, as if it was concept art left around for designers and engineers to follow while building it at the plant.
The picture is likely taken from the track that passes the facility, but why would a poorly lit and poorly shopped live photo taken off the property serve as "concept art"? That makes zero sense at all. You build to a blueprint anyway, not a random picture.
 #1580869  by Pensyfan19

NHV 669 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 pm The picture is likely taken from the track that passes the facility, but why would a poorly lit and poorly shopped live photo taken off the property serve as "concept art"? That makes zero sense at all. You build to a blueprint anyway, not a random picture.
I thought the photo which was attached (with poor lighting) was taken by PlaneLover, or at least his friend who took a photo of it off of his phone, with the original photo (with its original lighting and no glair) being concept art of the SC44 as basis art left in the workshop. I've seen similar concept art on a poster board for sale for the M9s a few years ago at a swap meet at the Riverhead Railroad Museum, so I figured that locomotive builders would use concept art of the finished product as a basis in addition to blueprints.
 #1580904  by ConstanceR46

This was probably made by a random 12-year-old. It has 0 bearing on what the DMs will look like; 0 bearing on the scheme, and is not an official piece of concept art. Why are we even entertaining the idea this is more than a 5-minute poorly-done PS job?
 #1580935  by 452 Card

Over time I have seen various proposed renderings for new equipment, mostly at RFPs. Later, the real deal would be somewhat, or nothing like the proposed drawing. Once the contract is sent into production, the image changes with change orders and just plain builders adaptation. Do not think that the first image that a builder reveals is the final product.
The M7 image I saw at the RFP was nothing like the final units. Same with the DE/DMs.
 #1580962  by Pensyfan19

452 Card wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:37 pm The M7 image I saw at the RFP was nothing like the final units. Same with the DE/DMs.
Do you (or anyone for that matter) happen to have the original RFP image for the DE/DM?
 #1581021  by workextra

I have it, but I’m unable to post to.
Shows the towers too. And a long train of C3s. But not the engines.
There was another one with the DM/Geep/FL9 on it with the empire system building.
If these are the drawings you’re referencing
 #1581108  by workextra

If you guys are just having fun photo shopping or custom painting models so be it, but don’t claim hero status for sporting something that don’t exist!!

425, is 100% correct!
And the amount of knowledgeable engineers who “get it” are dwindling as the robot generation who learned now how to run a train, but just make it go and stop on the button.
A lot of this deterioration of the craft is because of specific individuals who achieved promotions beyond their qualifications and abilities over the years.
Some of the stuff I’ve heard about would have the old heads shaking their heads in disgust.
MoE knows best. How dare a green card questions their judgement.
 #1602063  by BOMOPTSKWH

Whatever the movers and shakers decide- it will be a disaster. The DE/DMs were and continue to be. Rushed into service, designed by amateur wanna-be Superintendents. Pushed by know less than nothing political hacks. Another bottomless MTA hole which they try to keep filled with money.