Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1580639  by Head-end View

Photobug56, do you seriously believe that LIRR is NOT going to have trains running in the reverse-peak direction on the third track? What the heck do you think they're building it for? Give us a break!
 #1580644  by photobug56

Actually, I think it will mainly be used for slow express service in the rush hour direction, so as not to make so much of a change in schedules that anti change riders will complain. And to be available if a train dies on either outer track. I've little to no expectation that they'll add any viable reverse commute service.

You're thinking logically. But this is LIRR, where logic seldom applies.
 #1580658  by newkirk

Nassau Tower - RIP.....All photos Bill Mangahas

#1580674  by MattAmity90

Oh dear, my 30-31 year old heart just sank :( I think back to the photo of me standing in front of the pedestal signal with NASSAU in the background drinking a Yoo-Hoo. As soon as I saw the photo I screamed, "NOOOOOOOO! IT'S GONE!" Although the botched demolition of the brick substation caved in the South wall. Thankfully, I told friends on Long Island that if they wanted to get photos, that they had until September 18th to get them while you can.
 #1580682  by Andrewmad

Very sad day to see this. My Grandfather was a crossing Watchman for the LIRR when the gates had to be lowered and raised by hand. He worked at Mineola a few times with the Steam engines plowing through there. It's the end of an era.
 #1580740  by MNCRR9000

photobug56 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm
I don't believe the MTA and the LIRR are being secretive about the ESA project. Every week they are posting photo updates on their Instagram account and Flickr account and providing links on Facebook. I have been following ESA and seems like they are making great progress,.
 #1580741  by MNCRR9000

With the demolition of the Nassau tower any idea on what happened with the model board. Hopefully one of the railroad museums in the area was able to snag it.
 #1580800  by Head-end View

Follow-up on my previous report re: the new reduced-aspect signals at Nassau-1 . The relocated interlocking is just east of Merillon Ave. station and you can see the new eastbound signals from the east end of the station platform.
 #1580809  by photobug56

MNCRR9000 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:07 am
photobug56 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm
I don't believe the MTA and the LIRR are being secretive about the ESA project. Every week they are posting photo updates on their Instagram account and Flickr account and providing links on Facebook. I have been following ESA and seems like they are making great progress,.
Instead of having to find it (I use FB but haven't encountered updates there), it would be nice if like 3rd Track or TFL's Elizabeth line they sent out email updates. Maybe one of the many ESA workers that don't actually work could do this (oops, that's a union issue). Both of those other projects, one LIRR, give decent to excellent updates in their emails. BTW, you'd be amazed how little people know about what goes on month to month with ESA. Even people in the MTA.
 #1581343  by pineywoodsman

Noticing these new poles being erected along the Main Line. Seems to be for third rail feeder power. I thought they would all be metal. Also noticing that they are not high tension ones like on the South Shore. Not sure if these are just temporary because if not it's disappointing to say the least. In comparison the Babylon Branch has their lines on high towers mostly steel and with high tension insulators leading to me believe the feeders from the PSEG substations are a higher voltage (23kv or higher).
Bad enough we got the reduced aspect signals as well. Here's a photo of what they put up in Mineola.
 #1581584  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Here is the October 2021 3TC monthly report:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2021/10/01/up ... ober-2021/

The Nassau Tower demolition on the morning of September 25 was the most noteable event of the month.

There are two upcoming weekend Main Line track outages scheduled: October 23-24 and 30-31.
In some parts of the construction zone preparation is being made for the third track placement.
2021 has been a progressive construction year now nine months in...MACTRAXX
 #1581635  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:35 pm Everyone: Here is the October 2021 3TC monthly report: https://lirrexpansion.com/2021/10/01/up ... ober-2021/

The Nassau Tower demolition on the morning of September 25 was the most notable event of the month..MACTRAXX
Yes, it would seem so: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineol ... 20Raze.htm

#1581750  by MACTRAXX

nyandw wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:03 am
MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:35 pm Everyone: Here is the October 2021 3TC monthly report: https://lirrexpansion.com/2021/10/01/up ... ober-2021/

The Nassau Tower demolition on the morning of September 25 was the most notable event of the month..MACTRAXX
Yes, it would seem so: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineol ... 20Raze.htm

Steve: My mistake on the correct date of the Nassau Tower demolition - which was September 18.
I tried to correct the date - but I noticed the error more than 24 hours later and could not change the post.

The "honorable mention" for September 2021 is the opening of the Willis Avenue underpass in Mineola.
The full elimination of ALL the grade crossings on the 10.1 mile Main Line route is a significant achivement.
MACTRAXX
 #1581787  by photobug56

Design / Build, a good design plus incentives and disincentives based on performance, plus some ingenuity have made for a much better than average LIRR project. Only problem - how many months or years will Garden City hold up completion of the project with their behavior. I can just imagine everything else being done on the mainline except for that one spot.