Railroad Forums 

• The Stony Brook Branch

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1560570  by neman2

Auto racks spotted at Graniteville today (1/6/2021). I assume they are overflow from San Vel facility?
 #1560573  by mrj1981

I would agree that is the obvious explanation... but am I wrong to be surprised that they would use a PAR resource to service PAS traffic? Or to put it differently, I’d expect them to try to find a spot for those cars that’s west of CPF-312.
 #1560580  by johnpbarlow

Pan Am's clearance map suggests placing auto racks that require > 17' 0" vertical clearance at Graniteville is about as far as east as they could go...
Attachments:
PAR Clearance map.JPG
PAR Clearance map.JPG (52.25 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
 #1560581  by PBMcGinnis

neman2 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:25 pm Auto racks spotted at Graniteville today (1/6/2021). I assume they are overflow from San Vel facility?
Since there was heavy end of year push by Ford, NS received a sizeable train over the weekend for Ayer's auto facility. Parking the overflow of 32 additional cars is best done on the 2nd iron at CPF312 so it is easy to send a switcher over to swap loads and empties later in the day. Space in the Hill Yard is always tight and you don't want to tie up the Camp Track and West Main Street sidings with autos when you need those 2 spots for picking up and setting off other merchandise traffic going to and from the Hill Yard. There is no mandate or requirement that the PAR cannot hold cars for the PAS side, there is operational flexibility.
 #1560583  by newpylong

There is nothing preventing it from happening but technically they'll hit the car reader at Willows East and they will be interchanged. PAS will have to pay to move/store the cars on PAR. I believe that's what MRJ was getting at. Of course, having the cars available close by trumps any nominal fee.
 #1560630  by Trinnau

johnpbarlow wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:13 am Pan Am's clearance map suggests placing auto racks that require > 17' 0" vertical clearance at Graniteville is about as far as east as they could go...
You are correct, there is a bridge around MP 304 that is too low.
 #1565075  by neman2

I saw an eastbound MBTA train consisting of a locomotive, a set of coaches followed by another locomotive with a set of coaches on the Stony Brook today at 10 am at the Town Farm Rd crossing in Westford. Anybody have an idea why?
 #1565082  by alewife

The Fitchburg Line is shut down between Boston and Littleton until the end of April for ATC installation, so they need to go over the Stony Brook to swap equipment in and out from the outer end of the line.
 #1565091  by Trinnau

mbta.com wrote: Shuttle
On weekdays, March 1-May 2, buses will replace all Fitchburg Line trains between Littleton/495 & Alewife for a connection with the Red Line while we upgrade the signal system for Positive Train Control (PTC). A dedicated bus schedule will be in effect. MBTA.com/FBGwork
Looks like the inner Fitchburg line is shutdown over the next 2 months, using the Stony Brook between Ayer and Lowell to move sets to/from BET.
 #1576375  by neman2

Once again autoracks parked on the # 2 track? ( righthand track headed east correct me if I'm wrong) from Bridge St. Westford headed east. Also saw EDPO set off a dozen or so lumber and hopper cars at the CPF 307 end of said track at about 1200 hours 7/21/21. Power was MEC 7517,7609,5966.
 #1580372  by neman2

Saturday 9/11 once again autoracks parked at Graniteville with an engine tied on. D2 had train EDPO stop at the engine to shut it down. Idling engines have been an issue at that spot for years, Pan Am appears to have tried to lessen the problem recently.
 #1580545  by neman2

D2 in conversation at about 21:15 hrs tonight with "rail extra 7564" at Graniteville saying they want them to "class one the autoracks " not sure what that means. Dispatcher also seemed apologetic about the "long ride to Deerfield." Sounds like more crew shortage issues.
 #1580552  by jaymac

Per D-3 to ED-8 at 0506/0917-2021, stone to be dumped on the Brook starting ~0700. ED-8 to get all their racks inside the plant and get the power to Westford, so probably the westerly portion to get attention on 09-17.

edited to remedy fumble-fingers.
Last edited by jaymac on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1580559  by newpylong

neman2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:03 pm D2 in conversation at about 21:15 hrs tonight with "rail extra 7564" at Graniteville saying they want them to "class one the autoracks " not sure what that means. Dispatcher also seemed apologetic about the "long ride to Deerfield." Sounds like more crew shortage issues.
Class I brake test.