Railroad Forums 

• CN "Counter" for KCS

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1580460  by John_Perkowski

#1580462  by Gilbert B Norman

The map included in the TRAINS report shows that the CN will continue to enjoy the superior Lakes to Gulf routing. Save some maybe 75 miles of "over hill and dale" in Southern Illinois, it's a "roll 'em on down to the sea" (on FRA Class 4).

By contrast, the KCS is reported (a one that got away in my train riding days) in sources such as TRAINS to be entirely "over hill..", and I'd be surprised if "my MILW" is anything more than Class 2 West of Elgin and on to KC.

In fact, there was a TRAINS article on the KCS that used the occasion to describe a "sawbuck" meet (two trains both too long for a siding; please don't ask me to describe it).

Amazing how rapidly this "landmark" deal has
moved forth when compared with the rediculously snail's pace movement in the Pan Am/CSX proposal.
 #1580465  by nomis

The KCS deal is still playing catchup to the PanAm/CSX deal. We the Public just get to hear about it in an open manner before the STB filing of the merger application.
CP and KCS expect to file their merger application with the STB in October. The merger will be judged under the board’s less onerous pre-2001 merger rules. The STB review is expected to take about a year.