Railroad Forums 

• Rocky Mountaineer will launch a new train journey in the USA for 2021

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1578745  by ExCon90

I see on Trains Newswire that the train left from the UP yard at 36th Ave. and Wazee St. and will continue to do so until RM has negotiated the use of DUT with its owner, Denver Transportation District. Anybody know the ins and outs of that? I suppose the issue of liability will be involved.
 #1579817  by Old Muley

I would like to know where the train departs / arrives in Moab. The line is no where near the center of town. Closest access to Moab seems to be the Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action site. This also appears to be the biggest customer on the line. RM has to have access to a siding somewhere to service and board the train, obviously. Anybody know ?
 #1580118  by Gilbert B Norman

This is "sport"; go to RMT's site to find out a schedule of when they will operate and you get nothing.

Also of interest; you want a brochure? While there is a tab marked "download brochure", but if you want one, you must REGISTER. They also state "account COVID" no printed brochures at this time.

I"m hardly about to register; lest the "clickbait bombardments" begin. I'm really starting to wonder just how frequent, if at all, they presently operate?

Now why all this interest on the part of one who has stated he longer considers a long distance journey " ecstatic"? I am giving some tentative thought of a road trip to Salt Lake City during second half this month. While the Utah Symphony (I went several times when I was stationed at Hill AFB) is performing, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is not. My return (out would be I-80 with overnights York NE and Little America WY) along US6 to I-70 (more or less following the D&RGW), I'd leave SLC early and divert to Moab (never went there during my 68-69 HAFB tour). If I knew if RMT was running, I wouldn't be above a little "chasing" (don't think it would be too difficult) with a tie up that night in Grand Jct. My last trip that way during '14, I tied up at The Hotel Denver in Glenwood Springs. However since then, it looks like it's become an "overgrown quainty B&B" with canopied four poster beds AND $250ni rates. Sorry, no thanks on that - a $150ni "best surprise is no surprise" Express or Hampton is more to my liking.

That my 60th Reunion at South Kent School was CXD and my Sister's refusal to VAX scrubbed that road trip, the urge to take one while I still can, is still there. If this Utah trip appears "just too much" after starting it, well I just turn back losing nothing more than maybe a hotel CX charge.
 #1580284  by cjvrr

The train de-boards at a location called 7 Mile. This is where Route 313 cross the tracks. Which is north of the uranium tailings cleanup. Typically tank cars of salt water are unloaded at 7 mile for roadway dust control. Also further down the line, at the end, is a potash facility.

From 7 mile the riders are bussed to Moab.

Old Muley wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:20 am I would like to know where the train departs / arrives in Moab. The line is no where near the center of town. Closest access to Moab seems to be the Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action site. This also appears to be the biggest customer on the line. RM has to have access to a siding somewhere to service and board the train, obviously. Anybody know ?
 #1580296  by Gilbert B Norman

The Googlemobile has been by that spot; UT 313 and the tracks.

Kind of at a loss as to how they would alight elderly, and possibly disabled, passengers there; let alone where busses would park to handle the transfer, which of course includes luggage.
 #1580362  by Gilbert B Norman

cjvrr wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:18 am The train de-boards at a location called 7 Mile. This is where Route 313 cross the tracks.
From another site, I've learned of the schedule:

Moab to Denver:
Day 1 - Moab to Glenwood Springs
Departure: 2:00pm MT
Arrival: 7:00pm - 8:00pm MT

Day 2 - Glenwood Springs to Denver
Departure: 9:00am MT
Arrival: 5:00pm - 6:00pm MT

Denver to Moab:
Day 1 - Denver to Glenwood Springs
Departure: 9:00am MT
Arrival: 5:00pm - 6:00pm MT

Day 2 - Glenwood Springs to Moab
Departure: 7:00am MT
Arrival: 12:00pm - 1:00pm MT

I trust the absence of any days of operation is noted. How they plan to turn the train in one hour if it departs for Glenwood same day escapes me. If they are to "overnight the train" and return the following day, a uranium mine does not exactly sound like a Coachyard.

Again, I must question if this RMT is even running save that "inaugural trip". At this time, I must wonder who'd want to ride it, having to be masked for the entire journey, being carted off to an "away from town" hotel in Glenwood that not everyone at Trip Advisor is crazy about, a 7AM departure on the Westward journey, "Bag Pull" at God knows when.

All told, count me out.

Further, I'm not certain at all if this 80yo is going to take the road trip outlined earlier. I would leave Wed Sep 22, but I could be "out clean" if I scrub Tue 21st. The thought of paying $365/ni in Moab for an EXPRESS - a brand at which $150 is "getting up there" to me, is a real "turn off".
 #1580502  by GWoodle

Takes some digging to find information on this journey. So far there are a few videos on Youtube.

Train follows 2x a week schedule. Saturday Denver to Glenwood Springs. Sunday Glenwood Springs to Moab, end of train. Sunday afternoon Moab to Glenwood Springs with dinner. Monday Glenwood Springs to Denver. Repeat Tuesday, Wednesday then Wednesday Thursday. Over 10 weeks have 40 trips, 2 west then 2 east per week. For $1600-$2000 trips offer extended stay in Moab and car rental to drive Moab to either Salt Lake City or Las Vegas. Tours can include all the Utah & Grand Canyon national parks with hotel arrangements.

For the train the Rocky Mountaineer leased 2 SD40M from UP. They left the front "eagle" UP logos on but sides & numbers have been converted to Rocky Mountaineer. A separate baggage HEP provides power for 10 car single level train. Somebody must be master car builder. At least 4 cars have Superliner lounge car style large windows to see scenery & have generous lounge seats with tray tables for meals. Plenty of leg room. One special lounge car on the train has outside vestibule area. Beverage & snack service all day. Very fine dining meals all plated & served to your seat. Lounge car with all the alcohol drinks you can think of.

My guess is the train may run on to Green River or someplace to swap units to front of the train. Otherwise train would need a long wye track to turn around. To see the scenery, train operates 30 mph. With 9am departure from Denver, CZ should be long gone.

In the long run if Rocky Mountaineer over their 30 years running trains in Pacific northwest must know something. Bring folks to see spectacular scenery over 2 days on the rail & whatever time spent Utah-Nevada. Provide premium service. Could be big boost for Glenwood Springs & Moab.
 #1641575  by Jeff Smith

I might have used "paid post" vs. "propaganda", which implies negative intent. I know someone who's been on the Canadian trip, and raves about it.