Railroad Forums 

• Railfan the BNSF racetrack and South Shore

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1571148  by LavonS

Hello, I am coming to the area for my son's high school graduation gift to rail fan the race track and south shore. I know that Chicago can be not a good area. We would go the racetrack Westmont and west to Aurora.
And for the south shore go no frothier west than Dunes Park.
Are these good areas to be at? And I know that you cannot use a hand held scanner in Indiana.

Thank you for your reply.
 #1580230  by Arborwayfan

Dunes Park is a fine area to be in; you're in a state park inside a national park. And there's a bike trail next to the railroad, if I remember correctly. I hope you had a great time! (I see it was months ago.) If I'd seen this back in May I'd have suggested going all the way to Michigan City to see the street running while it's still there.
 #1584984  by MetraBNSF

Anywhere along the BNSF Chicago to Aurora route is great for railfanning. Westmont is at the highest point along the line. Westbounds go around a curve at Clarendon Hills and up a grade as it approaches Westmont. Aurora is at the end of the line where there is a train storage yard by the station and also a brewery.
 #1618420  by Engineer Spike

I'm in agreement with Hinsdale. It's a beautiful village around the station. A little east is the small station Hillside. Between the tow stations, which can't be more than a mile is a small bridge. Many railman photos have been taken from there.