Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific UP Big Boy 4014 Steam

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1577541  by D Alex

Also, what's with the dozen rusty hopper cars on the end? Are they carrying anything more important than maybe maintenance ballast? And couldn't they find a dozen cars fresh out of the paint shop?
 #1578184  by Jeff Smith

https://www.fox23.com/news/local/union- ... LEBCGZRYA/
Big Boy left its home base at the Union Pacific Steam Shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming, on Aug. 5, traveling across Nebraska and Kansas.

This is the first time Big Boy has gone on tour since its post-restoration debut in 2019 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the transcontinental railroad’s completion. It is returning in 2021 with brief whistle-stops in more than 90 communities and one-day public display events in five major cities: Fort Worth and Houston, Texas; New Orleans, Louisiana; St. Louis, Missouri; and Denver, Colorado.
 #1578306  by Gilbert B Norman

Even if some question Uncle Pete's enthusiasm over Amtrak LD's over his road, there can be no doubt that he carefully preserves his heritage.

The same applies, albeit to a lesser degree in that private organizations preserve his steam power, to Topper.

Now all we need is for Warren and "Kitty Kitty" to recognize they have a heritage as well.
 #1578394  by RRspatch

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:12 pm Even if some question Uncle Pete's enthusiasm over Amtrak LD's over his road, there can be no doubt that he carefully preserves his heritage.

The same applies, albeit to a lesser degree in that private organizations preserve his steam power, to Topper.

Now all we need is for Warren and "Kitty Kitty" to recognize they have a heritage as well.
Both have done so already in a way.

BNSF has the Heritage I and Heritage II paint schemes on it's locomotives. While newer delivers have been in the "Swoosh" scheme there's still quite of few running around in H1 and H2.

As for the Kitty I assume you're referring to CSXT. They recently repainted their entire business train, both locomotives and cars, into a B&O style scheme. All that's missing is the Capital dome on the front of the ex Amtrak F40's.

#1578502  by RRspatch

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:03 am Thank you Mr. Spatch; first report I had seen regarding the B&O liveried Chessie Executrain. Finally, I like the new whistle.
Forgot to add this for BNSF -

https://bnsfnorthwest.com/news/2020/09/ ... comotives/

So now we have the BNSF Heritage "H3" locomotives. The 10 units are in regular service and can turn up anywhere in the system.

As for steam I don't see either the BNSF nor CSXT going down that route. The ex ATSF steamer being restored in Albuquerque will probably be limited to running back and forth on the NMRX trackage.
 #1579040  by D Alex

As to why UP#4014 was making so much steam: it seems that the steam injector has been using more steam than it is supposed to. Last week when it was going through LA and TX, this caused excess water usage (more than the normal 12,000 lb/hr), and they had to refill the water tank car from a small town's fire hydrant. Of course, this small town's water system wasn't really designed to fulfill 25,000 gallon water orders, and they ended up draining the town's water tower. A couple of days later, 4014 came through again, needing water, and the town refused this time. And so did the next town, etc. They ended up having to throttle-back 4014 and rely on the diesel until they could get to a larger city water system. It seems they got to within 1 hr's worth of water remaining.
 #1579270  by J.D. Lang

I'm sure that quite a few members of this forum have seen some of the videos on youtube of 4014 during it's recent outing as I have but this one really stood out to me by showing the mechanical majesty of this machine in motion.

Accelerating out of Walnut Ridge, AR
Credit Photographer Fan Railer for this great pacing shot.
 #1579302  by Gilbert B Norman

Never let it be said that Uncle Pete doesn't care about his heritage.

A point I have always wondered; where are the Agreement Conductor and Engineer that were called for runs such as this? Do they get to ride in 4014's cab, or are they sitting in the "backup" Diesel locomotive?
 #1583383  by Fan Railer

J.D. Lang wrote:I'm sure that quite a few members of this forum have seen some of the videos on youtube of 4014 during it's recent outing as I have but this one really stood out to me by showing the mechanical majesty of this machine in motion.

Accelerating out of Walnut Ridge, AR
Credit Photographer Fan Railer for this great pacing shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYzhjUzCOU
Thank you. Here are some of my best shots from this last tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0IBZvoWsb0
 #1597017  by Gilbert B Norman

From The Times

Fair Use:
I stood beside the railroad tracks in the heat of the Texas summer, listening intently for the distinctive sound of a steam locomotive. Other than the cicadas chirping from the nearby mesquite trees, I couldn’t register anything out of the ordinary. I closed my eyes to heighten my sense of hearing — still nothing.

Suddenly the harsh dinging of a railroad crossing bell broke the silence. I flinched reflexively as the candy-striped mechanical arm descended to block the road a few steps away from me. It wouldn’t be long now.
I don't know where those parties come from that hold Uncle Pete cares less about the heritage of his road. Possibly because the "traditional wishbone" UP has remained passenger train free since '83, or adopting Precision Railroading, but their keeping an 80yo locomotive in operating condition is certainly indicative of "otherwise".

disclaimer: author Long UNP (down; but far less so than the S&P)
 #1597150  by Gilbert B Norman

Now the bad news citing "supply chain congestion":

https://www.up.com/media/releases/steam ... 220422.htm

In entirety; press release:
Union Pacific today announced plans to postpone the Big Boy No. 4014’s West Coast Steam Tour to focus its efforts on easing supply chain congestion. The tour had been scheduled to depart Cheyenne, Wyoming, June 26.

“We know many rail enthusiasts make travel plans and communities prepare to act as host, which is why we made this decision now,” said Scott Moore, senior vice president – Corporate Relations and chief administrative officer. “We have a duty to continue our efforts to reduce supply chain congestion and provide customers the service they deserve; given the impact of a steam tour on our operations that focus must be our priority.”

Union Pacific will communicate updated plans for a steam tour once service performance levels return to normal. For information regarding the Big Boy and future tour information, join the Union Pacific Steam Club at http://up.com/SteamClub.

About Union Pacific
Union Pacific (NYSE: UNP) delivers the goods families and businesses use every day with safe, reliable and efficient service. Operating in 23 western states, the company connects its customers and communities to the global economy. Trains are the most environmentally responsible way to move freight, helping Union Pacific protect future generations.