Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1579091  by Silverliner II

photobug56 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:00 pm OPTO?

Any idea when the GCT shuttle platform will be handicapped accessible in terms of getting to the main GCT areas without going blocks out of the way?
OPTO = One Person Train Operator. On the Shuttle, they kept a T/O on both ends of the train, with each operating one way and performing conductor duty on the return trip.

I think the elevator off the GCT platform at One Vanderbilt is the ADA access for the shuttle station.
 #1579131  by Allan

You are correct about the elevator in One Vanderbilt but there is also the elevator in the main area of the station (down the passageway to the 4,5,6 and 7 trains) A bit out of the way perhaps but it is there.
Last edited by Allan on Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1579134  by Allan

checkthedoorlight wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:48 pm New shuttle platforms and 6 car trains will be open on September 7. It will remain double OPTO.
What is your source of the opening date? I checked the MTA site (old and new) and there isn't any mention of this date, nor is there a press release.

I was there a few days ago and it appears that while the new platform is just about completed people will have to use the platform that was over track 2 (for trains that were on track 3) to access to/from the new platform. The old platform is not wide enough to handle the amount of people from the new platform and people heading to the new platform (especially during rush hour). There will be a major crowding issue.

They still have work to do.

At some point they have to cover over the curve area remaining from track 1 in order to make it a seamless transition.
 #1579192  by photobug56

Allan wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:54 am You are correct about the elevator in One Vanderbilt but there is also the elevator in the main area of the station (down the passageway to the 4,5,6 and 7 trains) A bit out of the way perhaps but it is there.
Lexington Ave is so far away for someone with a disability or health problem that it's a bad joke. Now if OneV does now have a working elevator from the shuttle platform that is an easy connection to Metro North, GCT, the Met Life bldg and Park Ave, that's a huge improvement. But will there ever be an escalator at the east end of the shuttle platforms along with the stairs up to GCT?
 #1579218  by checkthedoorlight

I said the new platform and train sets would be open September 7. I didn't say the work would be completely finished for opening day. My source is from the work order. And the elevator and escalators have been open for a couple months now so I don't understand what the debate is.
 #1579223  by Allan

There is no debate. I just wanted to know the source of your information since there is nothing on the public MTA website (or on the station area) that indicates the expected opening date.

I would think that the MTA would want some good publicity in regard to the Shuttle since passengers have had to endure closures and taking the 7 for a long while.
 #1579226  by Allan

There is an elevator at the east end of the shuttle passageway. It takes you up to GCT at E42nd & Park not Lexington Av. That elevator has been there a long time.

As far as elevator at the east end of the shuttle platform to GCT - that is where the elevator in One Vanderbilt comes in. It goes up one level from where you can go into GCT.
 #1579227  by Allan

One reason they didn't put an elevator by the stairs at the east end of the shuttle platform is because they would have to cut into building (that was torn down to allow One Vanderbilt to be erected). Who knows what was in the basement of that building on the other side of the wall by track 4 assuming the previous owner of the building would have allowed the subway system to cut into the building.

The builders of One Vanderbilt got certain financial benefits for allowing access to GCT and the subway from their new facility.
 #1579262  by GirlOnTheTrain

Photobug, there is a simple way to confirm if the One Vanderbilt elevators that you seem skeptical about the existence of are functioning: https://new.mta.info/elevator-escalator-status

You're looking for EL607X and EL608X - search by station and use Grand Central.

We've established that the elevators are there, so can we stop beating this dead horse?
 #1579289  by Allan

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:36 pm Photobug, there is a simple way to confirm if the One Vanderbilt elevators that you seem skeptical about the existence of are functioning: https://new.mta.info/elevator-escalator-status

You're looking for EL607X and EL608X - search by station and use Grand Central.

We've established that the elevators are there, so can we stop beating this dead horse?
I agree we should stop beating a dead horse so I am going to put this question on the elevators in One Vanderbilt to bed:

I was there mid last week (I wanted to check out the layout) and can tell you with absolute certainty that the 2 elevators ARE working - subway/shuttle level to mezzanine (GCT level), mezzanine (GCT level to street level). I do want to mention that these elevators are not near each other on the mezzanine level. You do have to walk a short distance to get from one to the other.
 #1579308  by photobug56

Having never seen them, and, at last check, not seeing them as part of MTA ADA planning for the shuttle (in correspondence with 2 different entities at MTA), I have no feel at all for where they are, and how practical they are for people coming from the shuttle to GCT or the Met Life building. ALL I've heard until now is that One Vanderbilt was planning some elevators connected in some way with the shuttle platform.
 #1579332  by Allan

photobug56 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:27 pm Having never seen them, and, at last check, not seeing them as part of MTA ADA planning for the shuttle (in correspondence with 2 different entities at MTA), I have no feel at all for where they are, and how practical they are for people coming from the shuttle to GCT or the Met Life building. ALL I've heard until now is that One Vanderbilt was planning some elevators connected in some way with the shuttle platform.
Are you even paying attention to what is being posted?

I am saying that the elevators that I described in One Vanderbilt are in place and are working. I even used both of them.

Since you have not been there to see them, you'll have to take the word of someone who has (me).

By the way, there is (and has been for decades) an elevator from Met Life to GCT. Actually the elevator is actually in GCT, you have to exit MetLife and go to the left on the north mezzanine in the terminal . There are also escalators from MetLife to the terminal as well.
 #1579840  by andrewjw

checkthedoorlight wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:17 pm The last page of this thread is a perfect example if why I never post here anymore....
I'd like to thank you for posting anyhow, despite the fuss. Very excited to see the new platforms opening tomorrow! (I'll be sure to take the elevators at Grand Central! :wink:)