Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1579195  by StLouSteve

Saw a recent report that the new VII Sleepers are being assigned to the NY Section of the LSL after Labor Day. This will result in the loss of one room due to the shared toilets taking up one roomette.
 #1579203  by bostontrainguy

StLouSteve wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:41 am Saw a recent report that the new VII Sleepers are being assigned to the NY Section of the LSL after Labor Day. This will result in the loss of one room due to the shared toilets taking up one roomette.
They were supposed to reactivate the intercom system so that the room attendant could be in the baggage/dorm and they wouldn't lose a room.
 #1579207  by Gilbert B Norman

Alphaboi wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:18 am Fantastic, I'm taking the LSL to Chicago in November.
Mr. Alphaboi, I understand and respect your enthusiasm over possible assignment of V-II's to the Lake Shore, but for operational efficiency, they should remain assigned to 91-92, 97-98 - Star and Meteor.

Apparently, the final two Sleepers have been delivered from CAF to Amtrak, and both parties have surely delivered their "don't let the door hit you on the way out" to each other (this whole procurement fiasco will make for a most interesting B-School case study someday). Therefore, all twenty five are now on the property.

So let's see; four sets for each train; three Sleepers for each Meteor, two for each Star = 20 Sleepers in consists. Two protects - one at SSY and HIA - are all that's needed; assignment to the Lake Shore would add one protect at CHI (Lumber St - anyone know that facility code?). This means three remain for shops, and an additional line on some trains during the peak travel periods.

Just being pragmatic the way operating people tend to be.
 #1579259  by jbvb

The 48/448 that left Chicago 27-Aug-21: V 1 sleeper, cafe, 2 coaches for BOS, then 3 coaches, Viewliner diner and 2 Viewliner sleepers for NYP. The 2nd unit was 100 in the black 50th scheme, 3rd 108 in the red 50th scheme so there were photographers at every stop.
 #1579276  by jp1822

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:13 am
Alphaboi wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:18 am Fantastic, I'm taking the LSL to Chicago in November.
Mr. Alphaboi, I understand and respect your enthusiasm over possible assignment of V-II's to the Lake Shore, but for operational efficiency, they should remain assigned to 91-92, 97-98 - Star and Meteor.

Apparently, the final two Sleepers have been delivered from CAF to Amtrak, and both parties have surely delivered their "don't let the door hit you on the way out" to each other (this whole procurement fiasco will make for a most interesting B-School case study someday). Therefore, all twenty five are now on the property.

So let's see; four sets for each train; three Sleepers for each Meteor, two for each Star = 20 Sleepers in consists. Two protects - one at SSY and HIA - are all that's needed; assignment to the Lake Shore would add one protect at CHI (Lumber St - anyone know that facility code?). This means three remain for shops, and an additional line on some trains during the peak travel periods.

Just being pragmatic the way operating people tend to be.

I agree that if they are just going to launch the 25 Viewliner II’s - keep them close to home and just run them on the Silver Service. Amtrak does not keep spare Viewliner Sleepers in Chicago...NYP and HIA only. Guess they could going forward though!
 #1579360  by lordsigma12345

It also makes sense that if they aren’t going to modify the VL1 sleepers to match the VL2s and they’re just going to refresh them in the current configuration then they should just deploy the two types to different routes so that everyone on board has the same experience. Maybe in the end they will - I suspect for now they’ll probably be deployed in a manner to eventually allow VL1s to be pulled out of service for their refresh.
 #1579448  by Alphaboi

I know it makes more sense to keep the VIIs on the Silver Service, but I'm just happy not to have yo put up with the open toilet at the foot of my bed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

#1579471  by west point

We cannot really know how the sleepers will be assigned until Amtrak gets enough OBS sleeping personnel working. That goes for food service, chefs, and coach attendants as well. All 4 are being advertised vacancies for employment. Locations advertised are LAX, NOL, CHI, SEA, I hope NOL will not become more vacant as that will affect the Crescent, CNO, & Sunset. CHI. LAX, and SEA covers essentially all the Midwest to west coast routes as well as mid America regionals.
 #1581048  by StLouSteve

Happy to report new sleepers are in service on the Lake Shore! Was a pleasant surprise along with two private cars as I boarded in Chicago on Thurs eve.
 #1581061  by R.B.Phillips

And the private cars looked good going through North East, PA, at track speed! Looked like Berlin and a similarly painted dome sleeper.
 #1581072  by Railjunkie

R.B.Phillips wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:14 am And the private cars looked good going through North East, PA, at track speed! Looked like Berlin and a similarly painted dome sleeper.
The varnish is coming to Albany for the fall AAPRCO special to Burlington VT. Due to depart on the 28th I believe and return on Oct 1st. Thirteen cars in total, not sure of the guest list but I am sure there will be some switching and trips around the wye over the next few days.
 #1581149  by R.B.Phillips

Railjunkie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:16 am
The varnish is coming to Albany for the fall AAPRCO special to Burlington VT. Due to depart on the 28th I believe and return on Oct 1st. Thirteen cars in total, not sure of the guest list but I am sure there will be some switching and trips around the wye over the next few days.
And, on cue, a much larger group of AAPRCO cars were on the Lake Shore this morning -
 #1581159  by Railjunkie

R.B.Phillips wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:04 am
Railjunkie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:16 am
And, on cue, a much larger group of AAPRCO cars were on the Lake Shore this morning -

That should be the last 5, train will be made up tonight watered and parked on track 3 in Albany. At least that was the plan last night, its the railroad so it could all have changed.