Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1579166  by b&m 1566

Stealing screen names are we :wink:

What I'm hearing, in regards to the 7470, is that there might be a matching pair of trucks, that they are trying to purchase, possibly from a sister engine to 7470 which is news to me, I thought 7470 was a lone survivor.
In regards to 252, I was told it will be shipped out when the GP9 #72 is shipped in. I don't know where it's going, I've been given 3 different answers. I guess it didn't break the crank shaft like every one keeps saying but it did blow a piston rod and the damage that was caused is repairable. I was told it's going out for a full engine rebuild, what I don't know, is if that was a miss use of words or if that is infact the case. When I think full engine rebuild, I think NHN and what they did with their units. Your talking a lot of money right there, more than just a repair job but on the other hand it could be worth the investment and longevity.
 #1579174  by Bill Reidy

Arborwayfan wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:45 pm I thought the ski trains and the daily Mountaineers were a sign of active management willing try out new ideas and run more trains. I'll be surprised if it turns out they aren't interesting in maintaining what they bought. I'll reserve judgement until Covid is really past.
My impression, too, regarding COVID. My wife's family is from Bartlett, and we have been vacationing here the past 5 days. A couple of observations and a question:

-- Many restaurants are only open 5 days a week, and at least one long-popular one (Margarita Grill in Glen) is now permanently closed. Also noticed at least one popular motel near Storyland (Storybook Inn) is closed. I assume for those open, they face a very difficult pandemic combination of finding employees as well well as guests.

-- I also noted other motels, B&Bs, etc. all have No Vacancy signs out, including the complex we stay at, though clearly not full. I assume all are due to lack of employees.

-- Highway traffic is clearly lighter than past seasons.

Regarding Conway Scenic operations, I do have a question. Early this afternoon, a train led by 1751 with largely valley train equipment traveled past Bartlett. I watched it pass Fourth Iron. Where did the train turn? It clearly didn't pass through the notch, as an hour or not much later, it returned to North Conway. I assume it turned around at Notchland, but as far as I know there's no run-around siding there--the only I know of are at Bartlett and Crawford Notch station. The train looked moderately full.
 #1579175  by b&m 1566

The Bartlett train now goes to Sawyer River, which is right after 4th Iron. There is a siding there and that is what they use to run the engine around the train. It is a new excursion this year, not sure if it's a permanent change or just testing the waters. I know they (like many other business) are in desperate need of help and their schedule reflects that. And your right a lot of restaurants have to close for a day or two, they don't have enough employees and the people working need time off. The Storybook Inn is open or at least part of it but you can't tell, it's so over grown an run down. I just went tubing down the Saco River with a large group and half of us stayed there and had to take cold showers because the hot water wasn't working.
 #1579180  by Bill Reidy

b&m 1566 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:16 pm The Bartlett train now goes to Sawyer River, which is right after 4th Iron. There is a siding there and that is what they use to run the engine around the train. It is a new excursion this year, not sure if it's a permanent change or just testing the waters. I know they (like many other business) are in desperate need of help and their schedule reflects that. And your right a lot of restaurants have to close for a day or two, they don't have enough employees and the people working need time off. The Storybook Inn is open or at least part of it but you can't tell, it's so over grown an run down. I just went tubing down the Saco River with a large group and half of us stayed there and had to take cold showers because the hot water wasn't working.
Thanks!
 #1579189  by CSRR573

b&m 1566 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:17 pm Stealing screen names are we :wink:

What I'm hearing, in regards to the 7470, is that there might be a matching pair of trucks, that they are trying to purchase, possibly from a sister engine to 7470 which is news to me, I thought 7470 was a lone survivor.
7470 does indeed have a sister out there. I believe shes a static display at a college in the Midwest I think
 #1579197  by arthur d.

CSRR573 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:20 pm 7470 does indeed have a sister out there. I believe shes a static display at a college in the Midwest I think
Per Wes Barris, Older sister 7456 is a static display at a community college in Michigan.
 #1579264  by BandA

If they sell off the trucks, what will they replace them with? I suppose if there are no plans to restore that steam engine in the next 20+ years it makes sense to sell the trucks. How good are parts that have been sitting for > 65 years?
 #1579265  by Cosmo

BandA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:50 pm If they sell off the trucks, what will they replace them with? I suppose if there are no plans to restore that steam engine in the next 20+ years it makes sense to sell the trucks. How good are parts that have been sitting for > 65 years?
It's a STATIC display, so assuming the trucks are identical, they can just swap them 1>1.
Hopefully the static trucks are in good enough condition for operation,... when's the last time they were inspected?
 #1579297  by S1f3432

The 0-6-0 at Gorham, NH lettered for the GT is actually former Eastern Gas & Fuel Associates No. 4.
GT 0-19a 0-6-0 7527-7531 were USRA engines built by ALCO-Schenectady in 1919 and originally assigned to
GT New England Lines: 7528 and 7929 were transferred to Fort Erie, Ontario in 1938 for service at Black Rock
yard in Buffalo, NY and remained lettered GT as CN lines in the US east of the St. Clair River were operationally
separate from GTW. All were scrapped- 7527, 7530, 7531 and O-18b 7475 were sold for scrap to the Buffalo
Sash Weight Company in 1959 after storage on CV at St. Albans, VT. 7528 was stored on GTW at Port Huron
until sold to Paulson Spence for his Louisiana Eastern RR- it was scrapped in 1963. 7529 was scrapped at
CN's London, Ontario salvage yard in 1961. 7527 and 7531 made the last in service movement of steam on
GT east of Island Pond when they double headed light engine from Portland to Island Pond on June 20, 1956.
 #1579299  by NHV 669

Thanks for the info, didn't realize it wasn't the original. Another site made it seem both were the same locomotive.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1579345  by b&m 1566

Assuming 7456 is the other train in question, the trucks do appear to be the same as 7470's. If the owners of 7456 agree to the swap, those trucks will need to be fully refurbished and that's going to take time and money. Forget seeing 7470 by January, we'll be lucky if we even see it out by next summer.