• Wildfire along Coast Starlight service suspended SAC-KFS 6/29/21-7/1/21 (possibly longer)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by eolesen

Clearly this was not a government-run project, because it's opening a month earlier than planned. GREAT JOB, UP!

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/in ... -early.htm

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by Shortline614

It should also be noted that in order to get all the equipment needed to the Redding bridge, UP MOW forces needed to build an entirely new road along with another bridge over a creek 50ft below.

I now "UP-bashing" is a bit of a pastime among railfans and railroaders alike, but we can all compliment them on this one. Good Job!
  by STrRedWolf

Latest notice:
Track and Bridge Work Affects Coast Starlight
Effective July 15, 2021

To accommodate repairs to the UP Black Butte Subdivision infrastructure damaged by multiple wildfires, Coast Starlight Service will be adjusted as follows:
Thursday, July 15 through Tuesday, September 7

Train 11, which normally operates between Seattle and Los Angeles, will operate as Train 11 from Seattle to Klamath Falls, as Bus 3011 from Klamath Falls to Sacramento, and as Train 1011 from Sacramento to Los Angeles.
Checked baggage will not be available on Train 11 south of Eugene and on Bus 3011. Passengers are limited to two pieces of luggage per person.
Bicycles, pets and checked firearms will not be permitted on Buses 3011 and 3014 between Sacramento and Klamath Falls or Trains 11 and 1014 between Klamath Falls and Eugene.
Checked baggage will not be available on Bus 3014 and Train 1014 south of Eugene. Passengers are limited to two pieces of luggage per person.
Buses 3011 and 3014 will make all intermediate station stops as well as a planned en route rest stop at a Pilot Travel Center with retail vendors offering food and beverages.
No checked baggage will be accepted between Eugene and Klamath falls.

Exceptions

Saturday, July 31 through Tuesday, August 3

Train 11, which normally operates between Seattle and Los Angeles, will be cancelled. Train 1011 will originate at Sacramento and operate between Sacramento and Los Angeles. No alternate transportation will be provided between Seattle and Sacramento.
Train 14, which normally operates between Los Angeles and Seattle, will terminate at Sacramento. Train 1014 is cancelled August 1 through 4, with no alternate transportation provided between Sacramento and Seattle.

Sunday, August 8 through Monday, August 23

Train 11 will operate between Seattle and Klamath Falls. Train 1011 is cancelled August 9 through 23, with no alternate transportation provided between Klamath Falls and Los Angeles.
Train 14 is cancelled between Los Angeles and Seattle. Train 1014 will operate between Klamath Falls and Seattle with no alternate transportation provided between Los Angeles and Klamath Falls.

Passengers traveling to and from stations between Eugene and Seattle are encouraged to use Amtrak Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins and Thruway services.

PSN 0721-56
I kinda wonder if Amtrak is holding off until fire season is done, because I just heard on NBC News about some flare-ups on some of the fires.
  by danib62

For those that had trips planned this summer that got upended, I had purchased an Allianz travel insurance policy (standalone, not the one they sell you when booking your ticket) and put in for a trip interruption claim for my cancelled Coast Starlight (PDX-EMY) trip. Much to my surprise they covered my flight from PDX-SFO as well as my extra night in a hotel.
  by jbvb

Passing by Portland Union Station today, I observed the northbound Coast Starlight attempt to depart about 4:40 PM (scheduled 3:56 PM). But after about 4 carlengths it stopped, most likely for someone who hadn't intended to travel north. Just as that was straightened out, the eastbound Empire Builder started to move. Not much chance of a race, as the Starlight was on the easterly track and the Builder would have to cross over at Vancouver, WA.

BTW, I spent a while searching amtrak.com for a web- or PDF timetable for the Starlight. No joy, which annoys me deeply.