Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1578048  by NS VIA FAN

After nearly 17 months......here's the first run of VIA's Ocean making it's way west through Truro, Nova Scotia this afternoon..... August 11, 2021.

The Ocean now uses a hybrid mix of Budd and Renaissance equipment. As the train is no longer turned in Halifax it will operate with a bi-directional consist and the power will just run around to the opposite end. Previously the F40's had run 'Elephant Style' (nose to tail) They are now back to back.

The train has a baggage car on each end now so one will always be adjacent to the locomotives and convenient to the 2nd Engineer in the cab as he also does baggage car duty.

#1578634  by Bob Roberts

and I am guessing since the wye in Halifax is gone the Park Car is done for good? I am also guessing that Via won't bother to put a plain-old dome on either.

Back in 2016 my Renaissance sleeper was great, but I still spent most of my time up in the dome. The full moon and snow made it spectacular.
 #1578656  by NS VIA FAN

Bob Roberts wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:32 pm and I am guessing since the wye in Halifax is gone the Park Car is done for good? I am also guessing that Via won't bother to put a plain-old dome on either.
Yes the Park Car is gone but a proposed consist I saw of the reconfigured Ocean did include a Skyline Dome which I assume will be added when Covid restrictions are eased. Even on the Canadian right now access to the Park Car and Skyline is not permitted and there is limited service in the Diner.

On the Ocean......the Diner is also off-limits to all. Meals are delivered to your room in the Sleepers.....and a Cart service is provided in the coaches.