Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1577013  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:49 pm I’m picking up the EOTD transmission from Maxim. Couldn’t hear it earlier, so I guess he’s moving.

The tornado warning for this area is supposed to expire at 7:45 or so
Believe it. Vou are safer in Howell. Lakewood for the naxt hour. Chase SA-31 later.
 #1577017  by Bracdude181

I’m calling off the chase due to flash flooding on the roads. Will come out tomorrow once this is over and see if they are parked anywhere.
 #1577064  by Bracdude181

Another storm cell entered the area not too long after I called off the chase last night, and I’m unsure if it brought down any trees on the tracks. Some areas of track were practically underwater in Lakewood last night.

Not sure if they went back yet, or if PR-19 will bring it back later. Will leave after breakfast to go see what’s up.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1577069  by Bracdude181

Just got a report from the field that the loaded cars are in Woodhaven and the train is not parked there. No idea where they are...
 #1577080  by cx4storm

Started hearing EOT activity on both 452.9375 MHz & 457.9375 MHz about half an hour ago. (2:40 PM Local TIme)
I'm a local amateur radio operator and I have a base station, using the following equipment:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/lmr/tk-7180h_8180h/

https://www.commscope.com/product-type/ ... emfsj2-50/

https://www.diamondantenna.net/x500hna.html
 #1577371  by R&DB

Crossing replacements are usually NJDoT and not railrad funded. So this has nothing to do with C&D.
 #1577375  by Bracdude181

@R&DB This crossing at Squankum is long overdue for a replacement. Not sure why it’s taken so long for the DOT to do this one. Fortunately when they marked what goes where they said they would something called “TRACKSTAR DIAMOND” which is a precast concrete panel style of crossing. Main Street in farmingdale was rebuilt with these panels in 2009-2010 and it’s still in good shape as far as the road surface goes.
 #1577429  by GSC

At least the detour around the Squankum Road crossing would just be a quick left-right around it. According to the map, the location is called Larrabee. I've seen it referred to as "Larrabee's Crossing" in old writings.
 #1577431  by Bracdude181

@GSC Not a lot of space for the larger buses and trucks that run through there though. It’s a pretty busy road at times so hopefully the closure is brief.

I’m really hoping that they put up a cantilever and gates like they did at Pine Brook Rd when they rebuilt that 2-3 years back. Many, MANY people run the lights at Squankum Rd and the tracks cross at an odd angle that makes trains difficult to spot. Gates and a cantilever would be a great safety upgrade. Clearing some vegetation away would also help.