Railroad Forums 

• New England Central Railroad (NECR)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1577359  by Plate C

Gracias. Had also meant to ask if they had re-routed anything last week as they were washed out for a few days. Saw some cars on CSX that looked like NECR's. I know they regularly interchange at Palmer but I noticed a more of the WC boxcars in the past week and wondered if that was why.
 #1577405  by johnpbarlow

Ironically, NECR delivered 29 gons of granite boulders, presumably tailings from Rock of Ages quarry, to CSX at Palmer yesterday evening. I think this stone will shore up a coastal breakwater somewhere.
 #1577416  by Plate C

Thanks guys, interesting stuff. I stopped by Palmer this morning and saw the loaded gons. Most of Palmer was empty save for some cars in the yard and the gons with a couple boxcars and such mixed in. Could hear a crew working somewhere nearby on the scanner but none of the 3 RRs were anywhere in site.
 #1577518  by Plate C

Looks like things are moving along again. Caught them this morning in Brattleboro with 4 units ( 3474, 3478, 3317, 721) headed South while 3476 stayed behind presumably to do other work.
 #1579986  by ProRail

Anybody have the story on what happened to NECR #3850??
Looks like it was involved in a fire or vandalism of some kind.
Seen at Palmer today (9/8/2021) looking cripsy.
 #1579992  by nomis

From the facehive, it was trailing on a train and had a fire in Monson, MA.
 #1579994  by MEC407

Looks like it originated in the cab. Electrical fire perhaps?
 #1586946  by johnpbarlow

An AllEarth Rail RDC, one of 12 purchased from Trinity Rail Express of Dallas a few years back for proposed deployment in Vermont commuter rail service around Burlington, was observed on the Palmer Rail Cam on 12/14/21 being switched by NECR's Palmer daytime switcher #603 at 1316 backing into the NECR yard south of the diamond, presumably after arriving on the daily NECR 611 road train from Brattleboro. And then 10 hours later at 2333, NECR's Palmer switcher was seen shoving the RDC in the middle of a long cut of cars into the CSX/MA Central interchange yard. Anybody know where the RDC is headed? I'll have to watch the cam midday to see if the RDC is dragged to W Springfield on the CSX B740 local.
Attachments:
NECR local RDC Palmer 121421.JPG
NECR local RDC Palmer 121421.JPG (91.11 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
 #1586980  by eolesen

I've got many miles logged in those ex-TRE RDCs...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1588962  by Allouette

G&W announced a planned Amtrak-related extension of CTC on the NECR. at the NARCMA conference. Brattleboro-E. Northfield or north from White River Jct.?
 #1588988  by johnpbarlow

Here's an excerpt from a Trains Magazine on-line article re: NECR planned capital spending for 2022:
On the New England Central, a $30 million Build America Massachusetts DOT program covering 240,000 feet of rail, 30,000 ties; 55 miles of surfacing; 30 turnouts, and 16 bridge rehabs; and a $6.6 million Amtrak project including 18,000 ties, 23 miles of track surfacing, CTC extension, rockslide remediation, 12 new grade crossing warning systems and upgrades of 18 others.
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... tal-plans/