Railroad Forums 

• Leased locomotives?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1577073  by NRGeep

Did the New York Central lease other roads locomotives or were they such a large and widespread RR that leasing was not necessary?
 #1577090  by mackdave

Their are photos of Bangor and Aroostook locomotive in service on the NYC during the BAR off season.

mackdave
 #1577137  by shlustig

The BAR GP's were operated by the PRR in Cleveland, Ashtabula, and Erie, not by the NYC.

IIRC, the NYC did lease some B&M locomotives prior to the PC days. Other foreign power was the result of run through operations with MoPac, RI, ATSF, C&NW, and SLSW.
 #1577248  by R.B.Phillips

I remember seeing CB&Q GP-20s or GP-30s roar through Whitesboro NY in '63 on a WB hot van train, and, not being in the business, wondered what was going on. A Central unit was in the lead. Nice memory.

R.B.
 #1577251  by BR&P

shlustig wrote:The BAR GP's were operated by the PRR in Cleveland, Ashtabula, and Erie, not by the NYC.

IIRC, the NYC did lease some B&M locomotives prior to the PC days. Other foreign power was the result of run through operations with MoPac, RI, ATSF, C&NW, and SLSW.
Thanks - I knew the PRR used the BAR geeps but didn't dispute the post as I was not sure NYC didn't as well.

Did NYC actually lease B&M power? They usually had one or two on the Ubangi trains (always in the middle of the consist, never in the lead). I don't recall them leasing any for other use but it's quite possible they did.
 #1577254  by R Paul Carey

NYC's B&M traffic was classified at Dewitt, for which the traffic would have been run-through Rotterdam Jct., with any B&M units trailing. NYC (and PC, until c.1970) maintained ATS (Automatic Train Stop); B&M units were not so equipped, so they would have been "buried".

Power for run-through interchange was not "leased" as such but rather apportioned over time to equalize mileage between the participating carriers.
 #1577310  by BR&P

R.B.Phillips wrote:I remember seeing CB&Q GP-20s or GP-30s roar through Whitesboro NY in '63 on a WB hot van train, and, not being in the business, wondered what was going on. A Central unit was in the lead. Nice memory.

R.B.
I can't speak to that, but a bit later (1967-68 and maybe earlier/later) CB&Q power was run through on NYC/PC. It went west on LS-3, and I can't recall what was the flip side of that - NY-4 maybe? Again, the foreign power was never in the lead, probably for the same reason that Paul mentions above.
 #1577478  by shlustig

Also, we had some B&LE F-units leased c. 1966-67 which were assigned to Ashtabula as helpers on loaded ore (taconite) trains from the Harbor up Carson Hill. IIRC, there were a 2-unit and a 4-unit lash-up.
 #1577911  by BR&P

BR&P wrote:I can't speak to that, but a bit later (1967-68 and maybe earlier/later) CB&Q power was run through on NYC/PC. It went west on LS-3, and I can't recall what was the flip side of that - NY-4 maybe? Again, the foreign power was never in the lead, probably for the same reason that Paul mentions above.
Here's a coincidence! I was thumbing through an old bound volume of TRAINS and opened the March 1967 issue. On Page 9, there is a picture of a train powered by NYC 2537, CBQ 142, CBQ 146, and NYC 25??.

Caption reads "GE hoods of New York Central and Burlington ownership roll through Aurora IL on the Q with the roads' new NYQ. Train pools power between Elkhart IN and Galesburg IL, enabling the lines to cut up to 12 hours off transcontinental schedules and improve their locomotive utilization ratios."

I guess railfans on the CB&Q got a treat of NYC units leading, while as mentioned above the BurliQ engines always were buried on NYC. Also presume the "NYQ" was Burlington's name for the train, but it was not not on the Central.

I apologize for drifting slightly from the "leased" topic but hope since we were discussing foreign power this would be tolerated or even welcomed.
 #1577956  by shlustig

One of the differences involving run-through and leased power was that the NYC locomotives had "Agreement" seats that had arm rests and backs. IIRC, the Q's engines had only "toadstools".
 #1578026  by ExCon90

That was even true with PC power; the ex-PRR units didn't have agreement seats and had to be "buried" on ex-NYC trackage. The reverse was true on ex-PRR trackage where cab signals were in service and NYC units couldn't lead. You didn't have to go interline to have problems ...
 #1578247  by NYC27

NYC leased a bunch of B&M GP7s during 1963-65. They were assigned to Collinwood. Ken Houghton's all time B&M roster contained the details of the dates and which units were leased but I can't find its present location. There is an in service pic of a B&M GP7 on NYC in Cleveland here: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bm/bm1561.jpg. I also grabbed an Ebay screen shot of a B&M geep being returned off lease at Beacon Park in November/December 1965.