Railroad Forums 

• more sports team charters

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1484244  by hs3730

One area outside the northeast that would work: San Diego - LA.

I can't think of any others, though.
 #1484249  by Bob Roberts

hs3730 wrote:One area outside the northeast that would work: San Diego - LA.

I can't think of any others, though.
Chicago -- Milwaukee (MLB, NBA)
Sacramento -- Oakland (NBA)
Seattle - Portland (MLS)
Buffalo - Toronto (NHL)
Buffalo - Cleveland (NFL) is doable (although perhaps not practical due to equipment needs)

In the possibly too long a ride category are:

Chicago - St Louis
Chicago - Detroit
Montreal -- Toronto (NHL) -- tons of fans do this route however

Miami - Orlando (Amtrak is too slow but coming soon on Brightline)

Brightline aside, host railroads would probably be grumpy about special trains on any (all) of these routes.
 #1484259  by hs3730

Bob Roberts wrote: ...
Buffalo - Toronto (NHL)
Montreal -- Toronto (NHL) -- tons of fans do this route however
Brightline aside, host railroads would probably be grumpy about special trains on any (all) of these routes.
The two NHL ones would involve mostly Canadian railroad trackage, Canada+hockey=not grumpy (not to mention GO slowly buying up the route from CN). However they've called Buffalo-Toronto matchups the "Battle of the QEW", not sure the "Battle of the Oakville Subdivision" has the same ring to it.

Also I didn't know Seattle and Portland both had MLS teams, that was one I thought of but couldn't figure out a sport that would fit. Cool!
 #1484513  by GirlOnTheTrain

CarterB wrote:If Amtrak is denying or cancelling all private varnish excursions, and all scenic excursions, then why are they still "chartering" for Sports teams!!!
If the Yankees wrote you a check to run a train between New York and Baltimore would you turn your nose up at it?
 #1484582  by R36 Combine Coach

Bob Roberts wrote:Buffalo - Cleveland (NFL) is doable (although perhaps not practical due to equipment needs).
Affirmative, since the Browns did it in 2015 when visiting Bills. Their train was a Empire Service consist (with Northeast Regional cafe).

Also Browns-Steelers and Indians-Pirates would be feasible. Prudential Center (Devils) is two blocks from Newark Penn Station, not sure if the Devils used trains before (Rangers often).
 #1484727  by Backshophoss

The "sports"charters are at least break even with a dash of Profit in some cases.
Just about all the costs for the trip and any deadhead moves are covered. :-)
 #1577179  by eolesen

Speculation or fact?

I suspect a good number of the Nationals drive themselves in personal vehicles to Baltimore vs. taking the team bus. I know a good number of the Cubs and Brewers do that when playing each other since so may players live partway between the two stadiums.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1577195  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:30 pm Speculation or fact?

I suspect a good number of the Nationals drive themselves in personal vehicles to Baltimore vs. taking the team bus. I know a good number of the Cubs and Brewers do that when playing each other since so may players live partway between the two stadiums.

Speculation. Driving up probably would be what happens for those reasons. It's only an 1h10m MARC train ride (probably shorter because express, but longer because gotta load the train up) vs... 47 minutes to gun up I-95, get off at Russel Street, and be at the stadium.
 #1577200  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, at MLB level, are they allowed to do that?

I can recall at HS level it was "no, your Mother and Father may not drive you to the game. We're a team, we play as a team, we travel together as a team!!"
 #1577202  by eolesen

The MLB CBA doesn't require it. Perhaps individual teams might, but there are many stories of Cubs and Brewers players driving themselves to the team hotel and taking the team bus to the stadium.
 #1577217  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:46 am The MLB CBA doesn't require it. Perhaps individual teams might, but there are many stories of Cubs and Brewers players driving themselves to the team hotel and taking the team bus to the stadium.
Yeah, I can see that with "close city" teams where it's accessible. by car (DC/Baltimore). New York? You don't drive in NYC. Take the subway.
 #1577228  by eolesen

Ball players are more likely to live in North NJ or CT... not the city...

#1577263  by R&DB

eolesen wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:50 pm Ball players are more likely to live in North NJ or CT... not the city...

Yep, NJ, CT or LI. Very few in the city. Add in Westchester Co.
Last edited by R&DB on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1577268  by fromway

For AWAY GAMES maybe if they don't arrive at the ball park on team transportation they don't get their Per Diem for away games. Even if it just across town, they get Per Diem for Food and Necessities. Oh the hard life of a pro baseball player.