Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1570642  by MetraBNSF

Not sure if anybody posted about this and it might be old news, so apologies if this is outdated and/or a double post. 210 after suffering a fire at CUS back in June 2019 was rebuilt and has been running. Some of the last Winnebagos that were rebuilt had roofs that were painted black vs gray. 210 was one-of them.
 #1576958  by spRocket

I've started seeing #10, a GP23ECO rebuild, on the Rock Island District, presumably for switching/rescue/MoW duties. So far, I've only caught it running light.
 #1577149  by MetraBNSF

203 was at 14th Street yesterday on a SWS set. Don’t know when it moved over there. Furthering the theory that all of the Winnebagos could ultimately be moved to the BNSF/SWS pool.

191 had a failure recently in which 208 coupled to 8 cars had to pull its consist along with 191 which was coupled to 8 cars.

190 has not been seen in quite a while. This was one of the last Winnebagos to be rebuilt.
 #1577206  by metraRI

MetraBNSF wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 am 203 was at 14th Street yesterday on a SWS set. Don’t know when it moved over there. Furthering the theory that all of the Winnebagos could ultimately be moved to the BNSF/SWS pool.

191 had a failure recently in which 208 coupled to 8 cars had to pull its consist along with 191 which was coupled to 8 cars.

190 has not been seen in quite a while. This was one of the last Winnebagos to be rebuilt.
All F40PHM-3’s except 202 and 209 went to the BN after rebuild. Some MP36’s from the Milwaukee moved to the Rock as replacements.

190, 198, and 203 are in the SWS pool. PTC isn’t set up to play nice between BN and Metra, which keeps certain equipment assigned only to SWS.
 #1587144  by Metra210

In case you didn't know, the latest locomotive to have the name of a town served by Metra on both sides of the cab exterior is 210. That name happens to be "Village of Westmont."

This was recently done because when I last saw 210 in action, November 26th, both sides of its cab were still bare. Let's see what, and if, the other "unnamed" rebuilt Metra locomotives will have on the cab exterior in the future.
 #1593877  by Briggrail

Would it be possible for someone to post an up to date list of which Metra locomotives are allocated to which Metra lines. The list I have is now three years out of date and I need to do an update before I railfan Metra at the end of April.

Many thanks.
 #1640114  by F40CFan

I haven't seen an F40PH on the MILW west line in a while. It looks like mostly SD70MACHs, F59PH* and some MP36PHs. Now I am not trackside 24/7, but I live close enough to hear the trains and I haven't heard a run-8 645 either.