Railroad Forums 

• LIRR C420 Preservation: Dakota Southern Railroad Engine 213

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1576612  by eolesen

Dogbert666 wrote:If he's only taking queries via a third party, it makes me wonder if he's even got email. This IS South Dakota we're talking about. Phone calls and in person conversations are far more common than emails in that part of the world.
Wow. Just wow... Maybe those interested in the 213 should drive out there or write a letter?....

Then again, it was just over a week ago that VPOTUS claimed rural people couldn't make photocopies, so I guess there really are people who think we still rely on 1900's technologies like telegrams and outhouse in "that part of the world" too?.....

If anything, rural communities and small businesses are more likely to be connected because of the distances involved between suppliers.

I'll photocopy the internet for you to show their email.... since we aren't advanced enough to copy and paste:

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1576622  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I have been following the continuing effort about preservation of #213 - and will ask:
Could the change in Dakota Southern ownership earlier this year affected any possible sale status of #213?

The Dakota Southern Railway headquarters facility is located in Chamberlain, SD - an estimated 1700 miles
from the East Coast - and about 140 miles west of South Dakota's largest city - Sioux Falls.
For the record the Dakota Southern's east-west former Milwaukee Road route parallels I-90 for its entire
length between Mitchell, SD in the east and Kadoka, SD in the west.

Google search "Dakota Southern Railway" and more specifically "Dakota Southern Railway ALCO C420 213"

From a Google Earth search for anyone adventurous: Interstate 90 west to Exit 265 N-SD Route 50/Business
Rte 90 King Street north to Chamberlain to Paul Gust Road north to Prospect Avenue east. The DS facility is
marked on the close-up map and location photos showing #213 can be found in this Google streetview:
"560-698 Prospect Avenue Chamberlain, SD" (my device is not capable of direct links)

I agree that the large mileage distance alone discourages any potential move east of #213.

If another railroad or preservation group elsewhere can save #213 from the scrapper that is the key.

There should be no "competition" or ill will between any group's preservation effforts...MACTRAXX
 #1576657  by ConstanceR46

I'm saddened to read about how uncooperative the seller is being. Although it's located a fair distance away, i don't think it'd have been too far in exchange for a basically perfect LIRR C-420... I just hope she finds a responsible home too, even one far from LI.
 #1576673  by Twin Forks NRHS

eolesen wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:21 am
Dogbert666 wrote:If he's only taking queries via a third party, it makes me wonder if he's even got email. This IS South Dakota we're talking about. Phone calls and in person conversations are far more common than emails in that part of the world.
Wow. Just wow... Maybe those interested in the 213 should drive out there or write a letter?....

Then again, it was just over a week ago that VPOTUS claimed rural people couldn't make photocopies, so I guess there really are people who think we still rely on 1900's technologies like telegrams and outhouse in "that part of the world" too?.....

If anything, rural communities and small businesses are more likely to be connected because of the distances involved between suppliers.

I'll photocopy the internet for you to show their email.... since we aren't advanced enough to copy and paste:

Hi eolesen,

We have reached out to Heath Haden on a number of occasions in the past few months. He is one of the people who has stated the owner does not wish to be contacted regarding the locomotive.

We have contacted other businesses owned by that individual with the same results. If you continue to do research and find other contacts, please let us know anyway. Just because we've tried this one doesn't necessarily mean we've tried them all, and you may find one that we have not.

As a general note, many of us would like to see the locomotive saved. All efforts are being made to do so, but reality in the end dictates what can and can't be saved. Our organization, along with many individuals, have made as much effort as we could have to save 213. We care, but the owner is unwilling to speak to us or anyone making offers on the locomotive at this time. That is something that cannot be solved at this time. However, unless 213 is scrapped, efforts will continue to be made to save it.

Thanks.
 #1576674  by eolesen

It's a business. You won't deal with "the owner" as though it's in a private collection.

#1576865  by midwest-fred

To all - normally I would wait to make an announcement but given all the dialog on the board about attempts to contact the seller, I thought it best to let everyone know that I have arranged a deal on the 213 . You all don't need to be worried about it getting scrapped. I will not provide any details at this time.

Thanks.

Fred.
 #1576935  by eolesen

I expect everyone who posted how urgent it was to save the 213 to be donating $50 per post...
 #1576965  by RGlueck

I've donated to both OBRM and RMLI, so I don't think that suggestion is terribly unreasonable. Lets see the effort firm up into a guaranteed reality and we'll move from there. Midwest Fred is at least taking action.