Railroad Forums 

• Ferrocarril Central Andino

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1572036  by Benny

In this time, I don't know why, rail traffic is at a low level so, when I heard the horn of a coming train,
I remembered my early days as a train hunter to quickly drive to the railroad.
This is the result: loco 701 at the head of an empty wagons train returning from the Patio Central to Monserrate shooted at the level crossing of Palla passage in Callao.
701+vuoti concentrato pl Palla.jpg
701+vuoti concentrato pl Palla.jpg (59.92 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Ciao :wink:
 #1573294  by Benny

Against the sun (the only five minutes of sun during the day :( ), but I couldn't leave the opportunity of taking images of rare shunting on the tracks that serve some fuel storage sites at the back of Patio Central in one of the hottest places of Callao, the so-called Puerto Nuevo. To be noted that, until not long ago, those tracks were covered by a coat of waste.

701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 2.jpg
701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 2.jpg (143.96 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 6.jpg
701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 6.jpg (141.24 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 4.jpg
701 Puerto Nuevo combustibili 4.jpg (147.18 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Surely not top-shots but this little happening pushed up my mood in a nasty day. :-D :-D :-D

#1573337  by Benny

Frankly I didn't asked, it should be.
But it's strange because there is a refinery along the railroad.
Probably this is a kind of fuel not locally produced.
All in all, the loaded tankers were only two ones.

#1573607  by Benny

Few days ago, when trying to put on YouTube the Puerto Nuevo Video, I found another video to commemorate FCCA 1023 loco that, was told, has been sidelined in October 2020 because of engine problems (and effectively the last time I saw it has been the last July and was not in good condition). The loco, this one,
1023 con merci davanti alla baraccopoli tra jr Villegas e av. Gambetta (Callao) R.jpg
1023 con merci davanti alla baraccopoli tra jr Villegas e av. Gambetta (Callao) R.jpg (199.16 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
is a SD 40-2 built by GM in 1966 that passed through many owners and on FCCA was used only between Callao and Matucana because it hasn't clearance for the summit tunnel.
A tear because it has been the first Peruvian locomotive that I ever photographed but its younger sister, 1024, is still soldiering.

#1574947  by Benny

Instinct, always it....
I was not really close but anything told me to go watching in the Patio Central neighbourhood.
At Puerto Nuevo no sign of life (apart the local "fauna") but, crossing avenida Atalaya, I saw something moving inside the sulphuric acid storage site.
After a good amount of fighting with the trucks to and from the harbour customs I succeeded in coming to the exit of the siding and, after few minutes, I have been awarded with 533 (one of my "black beasts") that got out hauling a rake of empty tankers and the emergency car.
533+vuoti acido uscita stoccaggio.jpg
533+vuoti acido uscita stoccaggio.jpg (91.31 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Some minutes later I could capture again 533 in front of the Patio Central when, uncoupled the cars,
533 davanti al Patio Central.jpg
533 davanti al Patio Central.jpg (148.38 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
it switched to return inside (the train would follow on later with another loco).
533 manovra Patio Central.jpg
533 manovra Patio Central.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Incidentally, when I was trying to park my car, 702 hauling another train sorted from Patio Central and began its journey; it could be nice to shot the two locos side by side but I'm happy all the same: finally I took 533!

And these are the videos: sorry for the scarce quality, I consider myself a discreet photographer but video is something new, but are interesting because of the sound.

For the history, 533 is an EMD GR12 built in 1965 for the Cerro de Pasco mining railroad and, after nationalisation and re-privatization, is now in the hands of FCCA that manages also its native line and use it mainly for shunting or siding work.

#1575280  by Benny

"a train is coming, where could I shot it? Here there isn't enough space, here too much plants, here there are railings... Damn... It passed... And now?" "wake up and chase it, clumsy! It's a long time that you want to shot it in the Gambetta Alta slums..." "but the train goes straight and me, instead, have to do a great ride with traffic lights, overrides and thousands of driving beast's ..." "Old stupid, in youth era you chased DB 01 express loco at full speed and now you are worried about a slow freight train? Shame on you!" "well, let's go trying...."
And so, a little later, I found myself in this renowned holiday resort, where tea is sorbed with the little finger at the top, to shot 701 at the head of 41 loaded cars (but the line is downhill, effectively the loco only brakes)
701+misto baraccopoli Gambetta.jpg
701+misto baraccopoli Gambetta.jpg (117.96 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
And this is the (bad) video.

And, as the train was further slowing down, I chased it one more time (better you don't know where I passed....) and took another shot when it was searching its way through the trucks waiting for loading near the Avenida Gambetta level crossing, just before the Patio Central.
701+misto PL av. gambetta 2.jpg
701+misto PL av. gambetta 2.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
 #1576429  by Benny

Benny wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 pm Few days ago, when trying to put on YouTube the Puerto Nuevo Video, I found another video to commemorate FCCA 1023 loco that, was told, has been sidelined in October 2020 because of engine problems.
Instead....
https://youtube.com/shorts/gLIqNpwUGEQ?feature=share

Seen yesterday afternoon with a short containers train.

#1576545  by Benny

Again instinct...
Having a little of time between two services, I was going to eat a "pan con chicharrón" (an excellent sandwich with pork meat fried in its own fat and sweet potato) but the car seemed to have proper life so I arrived at the Puerto Nuevo sidings and discovered that, after it has been cleared from the coat of waste, it is sometimes used to shunt the mineral concentrate cars that come at Patio Central.
More, although Easter is far gone, the shunting loco was another resurrected: 801, although not my favourite one, disappeared for a long time. This loco is "the sister that had plastic surgery" of 533, an EMD GR12 that had its cab and front nose modified.
Well, these are the images; note, in the second one, the prow of a ship in the background.
801 manovra Puerto Nuevo 3.jpg
801 manovra Puerto Nuevo 3.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
801 manovra Puerto Nuevo+MSC Melina.jpg
801 manovra Puerto Nuevo+MSC Melina.jpg (35.77 KiB) Viewed 1217 times

And there are the videos, too.

And finally I shooted also the mural painting on the side of the back entrance of Patio Central.
Murale post. Patio Central.jpg
Murale post. Patio Central.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
And remained me the time to enjoy my super sandwich!

#1577555  by Benny

In the late afternoon of Tuesday I was in the Patio Central (Callao) area and, although light was very low, I captured some nice shots.
After having extracted a rake of empty tankers from the sulphuric acid storage site, loco 801 is idling in front of the Patio Central waiting to enter.
FCCA 801 in sosta davanti Patio Central #1.jpg
FCCA 801 in sosta davanti Patio Central #1.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Indeed the other track is occupied by a train waiting for departure (note how busy is one of the railroaders)...
FCCA 801 e 702 uscita Patio Central.jpg
FCCA 801 e 702 uscita Patio Central.jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
...that, after few minutes, begins its journey behind 702.
FCCA 801 e 702 uscita Patio Central #3.jpg
FCCA 801 e 702 uscita Patio Central #3.jpg (91.3 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Video

After the train left, 801 could finally switch and go inside probably finishing its working day.

But the most juicy thing has been a short chat that I had with an experienced railroader that told me:
1) 801 has been so modified to improve its appearance because, when came the idea of the Lima-Huancayo tourist trains, it was chosen as the motive power for the coaches. Even it was to be painted with a special "inca" livery.
Later, probably someone realised that it was not the best on the steep ramps so, until the pandemic stop, the tourist trains were hauled by whatever big loco was available.

2) there are no more timetables: trains run as needed with the control room in Chosica that regulates traffic.

3) some time ago, one of the two new C40-8Ws came down to Callao with 100 loaded cars in tow. What a show!

Well, hope I interested you (still alive, right?)

#1578218  by Benny

Wednesday in the morning I left a client at the Callao navy base and, returning back, I have been stopped by the arrival of the sulphuric acid train.
Obviously, when the crossing has been freed, I rushed to document the event; this is what happens (probably it's easier to understand with satellite view,
https://maps.app.goo.gl/dDjH3FRSfstdxVdM9).
The train coming from Lima crosses Avenida Faucett but, instead of enter Patio Central, follow approximately one mile more along avenida Atalaya and stops before the junction of the acid storage site. Here the incoming loco is uncoupled and temporarily stabled on a dead track recently re-built where, until few years ago, there was the track to the piers (sic...).
FCCA 701 sosta terminal acido 2 b_n.jpg
FCCA 701 sosta terminal acido 2 b_n.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
At the same time one of the smaller motors comes from the Patio Central and pushes the tankers rake inside the storage area.
FCCA 801+cisterne av. Atalaya b_n.jpg
FCCA 801+cisterne av. Atalaya b_n.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
But this work lasts approximately ten minutes during which Avenida Contralmirante Mora, where I was and, more important, where there is an important exit of the maritime custom area, is blocked by the train with the result of a concert of horns kindly offered by the truck drivers as well as the abundant curses of a railfan that wanted to go photograph (all in all I think there is no need to block the crossing but seems they don't care).
After the cut of the rake on the internal tracks and the liberation of the main line track, the first loco return to Patio Central to wait for another working

and the other one begins to shunt the cars for unloading.

At approximately 4.30 pm the loco on switching duty takes a part of the empty tankers and leaves them in front of the Patio Central from where they will follow with the last eastbound train of the day
533 davanti al Patio Central b_n.jpg
533 davanti al Patio Central b_n.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Instead the remaining empties will return with one of trains of the next morning.

To complete the information, every working day the Cajamarquilla refinery (at the end of a branch from Santa Clara, extreme Eastern Lima suburbs) sends a full rake of sulphuric acid tankers to the storage site in the harbour area and approximately every three weeks it is shipped to Chile.

Why I returned to my beloved black and white?
1) because I like it very much
2) with the generally grey Lima weather it seems me that images result better than dull colour ones.

#1578231  by Benny

Hi David.
The acid is produced in a refinery in Cajamarquilla,in the eastern suburbs of Lima. The plant is connected to the main FCCA line at Santa Clara station through a three miles branch.

A photo of me, instead, is surely better...completely black to avoid seeing my scary! face! :-D