Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1575934  by Silverliner II

west point wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:21 pm since MTA will have 2 tracks will it make longer trains to make up the difference in passenger carrying capacities? Many years ago during a rush hour all 3 tracks were being used.
Yes. As I hear it, the two trains are to be 6-car sets.
 #1576298  by Allan

Since the R62/62A Cars are pretty much linked together in consists of 5 cars, I asked the MTA where are they going to get the 2 extra cars to make the 2 consists of 6 cars they will need cor the shuttle.

The response I got indicted they had some extra cars stored in the Livonia yard.
 #1576506  by photobug56

This will be very different. And a lot safer. But more walking depending on what car you are in and where you want to end up. Lots of people will still try to squeeze into the first car. But on the GCT end, that will help for the Lex transfer - but I don't know where the 1 Vanderbilt exits will be. FYI, supposedly 1 Vanderbilt will have an elevator from the shuttle that allows and ADA access to GCT and the upper level tracks and the exits to the North. No idea when, though.
 #1576547  by Silverliner II

Allan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 am Since the R62/62A Cars are pretty much linked together in consists of 5 cars, I asked the MTA where are they going to get the 2 extra cars to make the 2 consists of 6 cars they will need cor the shuttle.

The response I got indicted they had some extra cars stored in the Livonia yard.
There are also more than enough R62/62A cars still in single configuration to run on the shuttle. All the current 3/4 car shuttle sets are singles and not 5-unit sets. No extra cars will be needed, since the current (pre-construction) operation used a total of 10 cars at peak, and there are plenty of spares to be had (I've seen singles on several (6) trains, so they're covered).
 #1576549  by GirlOnTheTrain

photobug56 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:40 pm This will be very different. And a lot safer. But more walking depending on what car you are in and where you want to end up. Lots of people will still try to squeeze into the first car. But on the GCT end, that will help for the Lex transfer - but I don't know where the 1 Vanderbilt exits will be. FYI, supposedly 1 Vanderbilt will have an elevator from the shuttle that allows and ADA access to GCT and the upper level tracks and the exits to the North. No idea when, though.
The One Vanderbilt entrance is right at the terminating bumper block. The entrance is already open if you read what Checkthedoorlight posted previously on May 26. There is no "supposedly" about it.
 #1576553  by Allan

Silverliner II wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:25 am
Allan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 am Since the R62/62A Cars are pretty much linked together in consists of 5 cars, I asked the MTA where are they going to get the 2 extra cars to make the 2 consists of 6 cars they will need cor the shuttle.

There are also more than enough R62/62A cars still in single configuration to run on the shuttle. All the current 3/4 car shuttle sets are singles and not 5-unit sets. No extra cars will be needed, since the current (pre-construction) operation used a total of 10 cars at peak, and there are plenty of spares to be had (I've seen singles on several (6) trains, so they're covered).
They had used 10 cars in total but there were 3 trains running. When completed the shuttle will be only 2 trains running tracks 1 and 4 only (middle track 3 has been all but removed).

Since now there will be only 2 trains on the shuttle they are making them 6 cars each.
Will it be enough? For non-rush service - probably. For rush hour service - people will be packed in as usual.
 #1576579  by andrewjw

2 trains 6 cars = 12 cars. that's a 20% capacity improvement, plain and simple. Yes, the average wait time goes up 50% to depart but the train length going up 80% more than offsets that.

Also keep in mind that when there is no train on the platform people should learn to walk to the far end since that is a shorter walk at the destination, instead of there almost always being a train in the station or about to arrive so people just get on the first car in case it is about to close the doors.
 #1576629  by Allan

west point wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:00 am About all I ever remember is that to board it is best to walk to front. Has rush hour service ever used a motorman at each end to speed up reversing the trains especially rush hours ?
In the NY Subway?

Not that I can recall. It should be pointed out that, at present, the train operator at each end also does double duty as conductor depending on which station the train is at.

Example: At Times Square the T/O on the "front end" once the train has stopped and the brakes discharged will the open the doors. When the train is ready to leave the same T/O will close the doors. At Grand Central the T/O on the Grand Central end will do the same.

It has not been indicated if they will reinstate a conductor on the 6 car trains.