Railroad Forums 

• Extra Stop in Belmar?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1576352  by GooStats

according to my dad, last night he saw a Long Branch bound train stopped at the 16th Avenue grade crossing letting a SRO crowd disembark for Beat The Clock at Bar A.
is that normal? in all my years of being around Belmar, being a railfan, and a patron of Bar A, I've never heard of that. I've always seen the crowds of people walk from the Belmar Train Station down Railroad Avenue towards the bar.

does anybody know what was going on?
 #1576361  by Yankees1

Wow, that would be crazy if they did. NJT makes a lot of money on Beat the Clock Service on Tuesdays. Half those kids board the train without a ticket and just pay the $5 surcharge and don't think much of it.

Speaking of Lake Como, according to Wikipedia, that line used to have a Como station between Belmar and Spring Lake. Does anyone know where the location of that stop was?
 #1576377  by Roadgeek Adam

Yankees1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:27 pm So in between Wall Rd and Pitney Dr? Makes sense because there is a small "Railroad Avenue" there.
Pitney, 4th & South, yes. https://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/MONMOUTH_COUNTY/Como.jpg
 #1576483  by R36 Combine Coach

Yankees1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:06 pm Wow, that would be crazy if they did. NJT makes a lot of money on Beat the Clock Service.
If anything, have the establishment or local merchant's association cover the costs for a flag stop on
certain schedules.
 #1576905  by GooStats

As per my Dad (he was a basketball spectator at the adjacent Dempsey Park) last night no NJT trains made a stop at the 16th Avenue grade crossing for the Beat The Clock crowds.
 #1576971  by GSC

Not a safe place to discharge passengers. The west side of the ROW, north of 16th Ave., there is a chain link fence, the east side has a ditch. South of 16th Ave. has ditches on both sides.

Beat the Clock is a nightmare. I drove a taxi for a few years and mostly avoided the place on Tuesday nights. Not much fare possibilities as most of them walked to Bar A and back. Kids lined all the way up 16th Ave., as far as the Shillelagh club sometimes. Kids all drunked up and barfing. What fun.

I've seen NJT stopped at the station, for as long as seven minutes loading kids on the return trip. Must've been fun working for the train crew those nights. Usually had NJT and Belmar cops watching the station.