Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1557418  by Silverliner II

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:19 pm
Silverliner II wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 am To be clear, there's always been an interlocking at Grand Central. They're adding onto it. Given the age of the equipment, it's a good time to put in CBTC.
But not between Grand Central and Times Square, I mean.... where the service actually runs. Wasn't that crossover hand-operated?
 #1558151  by Backshophoss

The signals date back to the IRT original build, Had MM on their # plates as Automatics way back then, that ATO setup was an overlay using the signals in place that didn't last long and was vandalized to boot
Times Sq will lose the switch to Line 4 of the IRT Broadway route, that was interlocked to old MM # 4 track #3 is abandoned "in place" except for the layup stub on the GCT end
Figure on some tweaking on the remote interlocker at 41st street on the IRT Lex route
 #1558164  by JamesRR

Thanks for all the updates. Glad to get some concrete details. While I'll miss the old 7 Ave connection, the new plan is truly the way a shuttle should be set up. That area has forever been a bottleneck.
 #1558191  by photobug56

I'm more amazed by all the detail that NYCTA doesn't provide. I went through their online pretty stuff, found it very circular, especially if you look for ADA related info. Like how one gets from the shuttle direct up to the GCT level if you can't climb steps, or maybe not even be able to use an escalator. I spent many hours searching, emailing them, still have no clue. If they spend many, many millions on the shuttle and don't do the ADA part right, I'm guessing the lawsuits will be impressive. So just in case I'm not clear, east end of the shuttle on the GCT end, where you have those crowded stairs going up one level, then you walk a bit forward, then turn left into GCT. Ignoring the choke point for the stairs , you need escalators and elevators there.
 #1558199  by Silverliner II

photobug56 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 am I'm more amazed by all the detail that NYCTA doesn't provide. I went through their online pretty stuff, found it very circular, especially if you look for ADA related info. Like how one gets from the shuttle direct up to the GCT level if you can't climb steps, or maybe not even be able to use an escalator. I spent many hours searching, emailing them, still have no clue. If they spend many, many millions on the shuttle and don't do the ADA part right, I'm guessing the lawsuits will be impressive. So just in case I'm not clear, east end of the shuttle on the GCT end, where you have those crowded stairs going up one level, then you walk a bit forward, then turn left into GCT. Ignoring the choke point for the stairs , you need escalators and elevators there.
It was mentioned somewhere in this thread earlier, but I think the entrance from the GCT platforms into One Vanderbilt would be the elevator access, once that work is completed.
 #1572141  by checkthedoorlight

This project has been modified to make things much simpler (aka cheaper). The third track is being eliminated completely. Track 1 will remain connected to the Lexington Line, and Track 4 will remain connected to the Broadway line. There will be no track connection between the two of them. The mezzanine at Times Square is also being cut back, and the exit next to the old track 4 platform will be closed so that the bridge over the tracks will no longer be needed. Last week a new tower board was installed in Grand Central Tower for the two shuttle tracks. The board is very simple since it doesn't control any switches. All new signals have been installed but not yet cut in. The new entrance at 1 Vanderbilt has been open for a couple weeks now, including a new elevator, so the Grand Central end is now fully ADA compliant.

The new island platform at Times Square and the extension of tk 4 at Grand Central is still being worked on. I don't have an ETA for when this will be finished.
 #1572156  by photobug56

Fully ADA compliant at GCT? So how does one go from the shuttle at Grand Central Station to Grand Central Terminal - Metro North, former Pan Am building and North including the Northeast and Northwest passages? At least without going way out of their way?
 #1572169  by GirlOnTheTrain

If you want to go to the main part of Grand Central, you would go to the corridor connecting the Shuttle and Lex lines and use the elevator over by the main fare control. Otherwise you can use the new elevator at One Vanderbilt.
 #1572184  by checkthedoorlight

Grand Central now has 3 elevators. There's one right by the shuttle in the new Vanderbilt corridor, which exits right by track 34 at GCT. The original elevator by the entrance at Park Ave is still there, which exits out by track 19, and there's also a new elevator at the north end of GC that exits to Lexington Ave. This is in addition to the elevators that run between the mezzanine and platforms. Fully ADA compliant.
 #1575813  by NaugyRR

I'm going down in September to see Jim Jeffries at the Beacon, I'll snap some photos while I'm on my hop from GCT to the 1 train.