Railroad Forums 

• Septa push pull overview

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1573951  by rcthompson04

PHLSpecial wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 pm Any reason why the all push pulls sidelined? Low demend?
The 4 car set running as 9551 was replaced by a 5 car Silverliner V set so that wouldn’t seem to be the answer based on that example.

Maybe it is easier to schedule crews without them in the mix.
 #1573952  by njtmnrrbuff

For us railfans, it does suck that the push pulls have been sidelined. However, at the end of the day, many of the lines are meant for MUs. While a four car Comet Set with a Sprinter can accelerate well out of stations on local trains, the acceleration isn't as good as an MU. I look forward to the day when Septa could run express trains again just like they did pre-covid and the push pulls are meant for the express trains.
 #1573997  by mcgrath618

Allegedly, power equipment failed at the Wayne Junction substation, and the Sprinters are embargoed on the RDG side of the system.
 #1574003  by PHLSpecial

njtmnrrbuff wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:20 pm For us railfans, it does suck that the push pulls have been sidelined. However, at the end of the day, many of the lines are meant for MUs. While a four car Comet Set with a Sprinter can accelerate well out of stations on local trains, the acceleration isn't as good as an MU. I look forward to the day when Septa could run express trains again just like they did pre-covid and the push pulls are meant for the express trains.
While all of that is true, the sound of the sprinters motors is pretty awesome imo.
 #1574024  by Silverliner II

mcgrath618 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am Allegedly, power equipment failed at the Wayne Junction substation, and the Sprinters are embargoed on the RDG side of the system.
I would guess that relates to what I heard from a friend on Facebook. "SEPTA substation issues affecting the ACS-64's only... line interference issues. No ACS-64's on the Reading side at all until further notice."
 #1574369  by Silverliner II

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:59 am Looks like they still aren’t running as of this morning.
It's not going to be a quick return.... they've got to track down the issues. It is going to be a while.
 #1575749  by rcthompson04

Any update on what is causing the issues? I guess it doesn’t matter at the moment as the utilization doesn’t warrant their use and they could still run on the PRR side terminating at Suburban if needed.
 #1575799  by Silverliner II

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:36 am Any update on what is causing the issues? I guess it doesn’t matter at the moment as the utilization doesn’t warrant their use and they could still run on the PRR side terminating at Suburban if needed.
All still quiet on that front.... haven't heard a thing.
 #1575808  by rcthompson04

Silverliner II wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:07 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:36 am Any update on what is causing the issues? I guess it doesn’t matter at the moment as the utilization doesn’t warrant their use and they could still run on the PRR side terminating at Suburban if needed.
All still quiet on that front.... haven't heard a thing.
I saw a video on social media of three Sprinters deadheading together through Overbrook. Good to see they are on the move, but leaves some questions obviously.
 #1576042  by CNJGeep

North of the phase break there is a voltage fluctuation issue. The ACSs do not like this and will open the MCB if there is too much fluctuation in too short a time frame.

There is no space in Suburban to stub trains, 0 and 5 have spare equipment, 6 and 7 have Vs that are waiting for repairs. There is also no real tangible need or want for a train which does not go through the tunnel.

The most recent news indicates "at or around the week after Labor Day" for the problem to be fixed. I'm guessing that means the equipment will be back then, but to be fair the only people who seem to be up in arms about it are buffs.
 #1576130  by rcthompson04

CNJGeep wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:43 pm North of the phase break there is a voltage fluctuation issue. The ACSs do not like this and will open the MCB if there is too much fluctuation in too short a time frame.

There is no space in Suburban to stub trains, 0 and 5 have spare equipment, 6 and 7 have Vs that are waiting for repairs. There is also no real tangible need or want for a train which does not go through the tunnel.

The most recent news indicates "at or around the week after Labor Day" for the problem to be fixed. I'm guessing that means the equipment will be back then, but to be fair the only people who seem to be up in arms about it are buffs.
I wonder if that is when SEPTA might revise its schedules. Amtrak is increasing the number of Keystones the week before Labor Day.
 #1576132  by van2005ko

rcthompson04 wrote:I saw a video on social media of three Sprinters deadheading together through Overbrook. Good to see they are on the move, but leaves some questions obviously.
I believe these three originated from Powelton yard. Don't think they ever touched the RDG side of the system.

So happened to see them sitting and looking go depart the yard shortly while on the train and surely enough I was correct and recorded them at Overbrook!

https://youtube.com/shorts/RNwQtYMR1cw?feature=share

IG: MIDATLANTIC_TRANSITWATCH
Last edited by nomis on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Truncated quote
 #1576594  by west point

Had a suspicion that there might have been power (voltage ) problems. That is one reason why I have questioned the lack of use of ACS-64s . Problem sections especially at far end of routes could be switched with the necessary phase breaks being at locations being converted to 60 HZ. If there are voltage problems then the 25 HZ system may be reaching limits ? It could just be not enough high voltage capacity ?