Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1573695  by MattAmity90

Actually what I'm describing is that large open area where a building existed to gain access to a parking lot. Here's a photo of the building I'm talking about.
Courtesy of Jeremiah Cox.
Courtesy of Jeremiah Cox.
mineola10smhd.jpg (127.79 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
I forgot to mention that the new elevators at Floral Park are now in service, and further demolition of Platform A is commencing in between the skeleton frame of the new ADA pedestrian bridge and the Intermodal center pedestrian bridge.
 #1574100  by newkirk

New platform work at Mineola.
Photos: Bill Mangahas

#1574482  by MACTRAXX

BM: Good two pictures showing the Mineola platform construction.
The temporary (trailer) ticket office is just off to the right out of sight of the westward view adjacent to the
east entrance of Platform A along with three temporarily relocated TVMs in a small wooden shelter.

Everyone: The Willis Avenue (Oyster Bay Branch) Underpass Project is scheduled for Saturday-Sunday June 26-27.
I thought at first that only Oyster Bay trains would be affected - this will suspend ALL service between Floral Park
and Hicksville. Alternate service is provided in the usual manner as past weekend 3TC track work shutdowns.
MACTRAXX
 #1574494  by MattAmity90

Somebody said that the Main Line bridge was going in first, and then on the weekend of July 10th-11th it would be the Oyster Bay Branch bridge. The article doesn't say which bridge is going to be box-jacked, much to my chagrin. There will be no train service for New Hyde Park through Westbury. Oyster Bay Branch service will only be from Oyster Bay to East Williston, no service between East Williston or NASSAU 4 and Mineola.

I'm just going to go by MACTRAXX's words: Oyster Bay Branch bridge, which is going to be awkward since it is not a straight line, it's curved. In the photo you can see the OB span, and closer to the camera is the Main Line span. Front Street bridge is coming along nicely as well.
Oyster Bay and Main Line spans (Edward Hand).
Oyster Bay and Main Line spans (Edward Hand).
51230436704_acd7a455c6_k.jpg (909.14 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
 #1574510  by MattAmity90

photobug56 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:35 pm LIRR allows you to subscribe to emails with outage info.

Separately, as I recall, one of the underpasses going in soon or now is for pedestrians only.
About two weeks ago on the June 11th-12th weekend, they installed the pedestrian underpass at the former site of the 12th Street grade crossing in New Hyde Park. They dug up the segment, and one by one lowered sections of the tunnel into place then connecting the box tunnel to the two stairways at the ends of both platforms.
 #1574512  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I post LIRR Third Track Project information from only TWO sources:
1-The MTA website's LIRR section specifically Planned Service Changes
2-The updates from 3TC/Modern LI website about Third Track projects
I do NOT use any other third-party source...MACTRAXX
 #1575527  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Saturday-Sunday July 10-11 is the Willis Avenue-Mineola Main Line Bridge Placement Project.
Alternate service is being provided in the normal manner as past Main Line 3TC construction outages.

The 3TC Update for July 2021:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2021/07/01/up ... july-2021/

In the Floral Park section an upcoming switch installation program on the Hempstead Branch is mentioned.
This will be for four consecutive Saturdays: July 24,31; August 7,14.

The Summer 2021 3TC work continues...MACTRAXX
 #1575600  by newkirk

Mineola today - July 11, 2021 - All photos Bill Mangahas
New eastbound platform and canopy structure.

Track vehicles at Main St
Nassau tower still standing
 #1575635  by MattAmity90

As of this hour, here are a few updates on the construction:

1.) The box-jacking operation of the Main Line Willis Avenue crossing has been completed, and at about 1-2 AM trains were back in service in between Hicksville and Floral Park.
2.) A building adjacent to the Second St. Oyster Bay crossing was demolished since it was in close proximity to the traffic light of Willis and Second.
3.) According to photos taken by Edward Hand, you can now see clearly straight North-South of the road going underneath both branches.
4.) Railroad crossing signals and the cantilever flashing lights/components have been razed at Main Street. It's as if a crossing never existed there in the first place.
5.) The only crossing left is the pedestrian at Mineola, and I don't have any news regarding when that will close and eventually be demolished.
6.) Apparently Westbury now has temporary platforms?

Three questions arise from this past weekend:

1.) Why are the concrete pads from the 12th Street crossing in New Hyde Park now just to the West of the former crossing? I thought those were going to be tossed away.
2.) When will the power lines on the North side of the ROW at Merillon Avenue be removed?
3.) Is it possible that they might eliminate the Second St. grade crossing on the Oyster Bay Branch in Mineola as well, or at least designate it a quiet zone like Little Neck Parkway? Basically convert it into a four-quadrant gated crossing in the future? As of now, the pedestrian crossing and Second St. grade crossing are the only two left in Mineola.