Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1573864  by west point

Can you imagine the colossal screw up if the V-2 diners have 2 or 3 different configurations ? Make interchanging diners impossible without downgrading that train's diner service. IMHO it just does not make sense ?????
 #1573881  by bostontrainguy

west point wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:38 am Can you imagine the colossal screw up if the V-2 diners have 2 or 3 different configurations ? Make interchanging diners impossible without downgrading that train's diner service. IMHO it just does not make sense ?????
Although there have been many reports of plans for a single food service car which would be a retrofitted V-2 with the addition of a take-out window, I haven't heard of any actually being done. People have said they have seen plans but that may be all they have done.

I wish they could come up with a solution to the accessibility issue since they have lost 1 1/2 tables just for the possibility that a wheelchair might appear. Although designed for 48 passenger capacity, they are now way below that due to the removal of these six seats and of course the usual crew personal items table and the other setup table. With the upcoming new dining car policy, they really need to think about how they can increase capacity.

That is the modification they need: a convertible table for accessibility and storage for setups and the crew's personal items.

I can't recall what train I was on but I do remember a diner with cubbyholes between the seat backs that held all of the setups and condiments.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1573968  by R36 Combine Coach

A combined diner/lounge with both complete meals (full kitchen) and a cafe counter seems most
practical. The "Cross Country Cafe" is an example of this concept. The Amfleet IIs are combined
diner/lounges, but lack full kitchen.
 #1573971  by electricron

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:40 pm A combined diner/lounge with both complete meals (full kitchen) and a cafe counter seems most
practical. The "Cross Country Cafe" is an example of this concept. The Amfleet IIs are combined
diner/lounges, but lack full kitchen.
Without a full kitchen, it is not a diner. At best you could probably call it a dinette-lounge.

The Cross Country Cafe would work better, be more acceptable, if they got rid of those sideway tables and "u" shape seats and replace them with regular dining tables with facing seats/benches.
The "u" shape seat tables are so small it is difficult for four to dine with them without knocking elbows every time you bring food to your mouth. Those tables barely have room for four drink glasses.
 #1573980  by Gilbert B Norman

Ron, the 370XX "Cross Country Café" did have a full service kitchen. One of such was assigned to an '08 Disney chartered train on which various ABC News personalities and their underlings measured the sentiments of voters. McCain, of course lost but rather on Sep 15 and not in November.

One personality, Robin Roberts, actually did ride the train a fair amount; others simply flew ahead to next stop. Ms. Roberts reportedly "chowed down" in the X-Country with the lesserlings.

I think it safe assumption that Disney expected full service dining.

For myself, I once had a "small world" moment aboard such a car. Aboard #59 - The Louisiane, on my last and likely final joyride CHI-JAN in this life during '10, I was wedged into one of the supposed "Café" tables. But here also wedged was this college age girl going to Champaign who looked mighty familiar. We conversed, and it came out that her Mother was with the MILW during my '70-'81 tenure. First "I am a U of I graduate", she "I'm working on my Masters". What did I do? various Non-Agreement positions. What did she do? various Agreement Clerk positions, but she was promoted to Asst. Mgr in Disbursements. OMG "does or did she have a surname of C-----", Yes, how's Brenda doing? "Quite well; she's widowed, but well". She and I "always got on well" professionally. Small world dept, ending with hugs and good luck.
 #1573990  by electricron

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:12 am Ron, the 370XX "Cross Country Café" did have a full service kitchen. One of such was assigned to an '08 Disney chartered train on which various ABC News personalities and their underlings measured the sentiments of voters.
Cross Country Cafes are Superliners, which do have a full kitchen on the bottom floor - or at least used to.
Viewliner 1 and 2 diners also have a full kitchen. But Amfleet 1 and 2 diner-lounge cars do not have a full kitchen, hence why I think they should be called dinette-lounge cars, or what Amtrak calls food service cars.
The only cars with "u" shape seats and small cocktail tables are the Cross Country Club Superliners.
Here's a recent video review about them......

Fast forward to around 13.5 minutes to see the review of the Cross Country Club car. The reviewer spends a good 7 minutes panning the car as being non functional.

Also take note of the amateurish "No Seating At Table" signs made with from carboard box and magic marker. Sure brings confidence that Amtrak has the slightest idea of what they are doing. :(
 #1574211  by AgentSkelly

So I know things have changed a few times in 50 years with drink selection on Amtrak, but I see now Amtrak is using Coke again and there is some synergy going on here…
 #1574365  by AgentSkelly

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Agent

Am I expected to know what that electronic plaything next to your Snack Box is?
It’s for my electric newspaper :p
 #1574532  by STrRedWolf

AgentSkelly wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:39 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Am I expected to know what that electronic plaything next to your Snack Box is?
It’s for my electric newspaper :p
Battery bank. I have one as well. I got to get a few charged ones to Dad soon.
 #1574604  by J.D. Lang

electricron wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:32 pm Are those recent photos of food on Amtrak trains or photos from a decade ago?
I think they are recent. The western trains went back to traditional dining last week and I believe he is on a western train right now.