Railroad Forums 

• Acela Disposition Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1574247  by eolesen

John_Perkowski wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:02 am Admin Note:
There was some activity on disposition in the Avelia production/acceptance thread. I've temporarily reopened this topic. If we see the dead horse being beaten more, we'll lock it up again. Come with good ideas please.
Somehow I feel like the horse is still dead.
 #1574248  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:13 pm That the 120 Acela cars do not have traps I think closes the door on any Third World operator "touching them".
Can't speak to Ukraine but I think both SA and MX have high-level platforms. Also occurs to me that the construction cost for a high-level wooden platform in such places is probably not exactly what you'd pay in, say, southeastern Connecticut.
 #1574260  by daybeers

eolesen wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:20 pm
There was some activity on disposition in the Avelia production/acceptance thread. I've temporarily reopened this topic. If we see the dead horse being beaten more, we'll lock it up again. Come with good ideas please.
I agree.
 #1574269  by rcthompson04

daybeers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:01 pm
eolesen wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:20 pm
I agree.
Like Franco it is still dead.
 #1574314  by bostontrainguy

You know thinking about my own post above concerning the "Jet Train", I guess there is a possible usage. What if Bombardier takes whatever is necessary to rebuild the equipment and use it on this Mexican proposal?

I don't know exactly what is possible. Could the power cars be stripped out and rebuilt as diesels or gas turbines? If not new "Jet train" engines could be built.

The passenger cars can be stripped down and reused without the tilt mechanisms to simplify maintenance which is probably not necessary on a newly built line anyway.

So theoretically I would guess Bombardier could make a relatively low bid for this new service and should be able to underbid other suppliers. Refurbished equipment is certainly nothing new in Mexico and the results are often very impressive. If anyone can do this it would be Bombardier.

RE:
Bombardier more recently has begun conversations with the state government of Yucatan in Mexico for the development of the Transpeninsular Fast Train. The project aims to connect the state capital of Mérida to the tourist resorts of the Mayan Riviera like Cancun and the Mayan Ruins of Chichen Itza. According to the Governor Ivonne Ortega, the train must run on diesel at an average speed of 100 mph, for which Bombardier deemed suitable the use of The JetTrain.
 #1574329  by rcthompson04

David Benton wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:03 am If you dont want to read the thread don't open it , simple.
I enjoy seeing how many alternatives can be brought up, shot down, and brought up again.

On a more serious note, the problems with using these train sets highlight all the problems we have with passenger rail infrastructure in the Americas quite nicely.
 #1574331  by photobug56

As nice as maglev is, I'm guessing that this project will never happen. Too expensive to do, no way to make money from it, plus piles of NIMBYism.

And yes, i like maglev, experienced it about 35 years ago. But this is the US, not China or Japan or even Europe.
 #1574394  by eolesen

They should recycle the Acela 1's for the Maglev.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1574396  by scratchyX1

photobug56 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:57 pm As nice as maglev is, I'm guessing that this project will never happen. Too expensive to do, no way to make money from it, plus piles of NIMBYism.

And yes, i like maglev, experienced it about 35 years ago. But this is the US, not China or Japan or even Europe.
Of course, one of the dirty secrets is that maglev takes ALOT of power. Japan had an excess, before it turned off most of it's nuclear plants, but now, they don't. Plus, the amount of work to shoehorn it into existing infrastructure is excessive.
 #1574404  by electricron

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:20 am Of course, one of the dirty secrets is that maglev takes ALOT of power. Japan had an excess, before it turned off most of it's nuclear plants, but now, they don't. Plus, the amount of work to shoehorn it into existing infrastructure is excessive.
Why is it surprising that going faster requires more energy?
Maglev is incompatible with existing railroads, that's why just about every proponent emphasizes building an entirely brand new corridor for it.
Unlike refurbishing used Acela trainsets for another route. They could use other routes with just two optional modifications; (1) Hanging catenaries over the tracks or (2) using different power cars.
Any platforming difficulties can be fixed by changing the heights of all the platforms on that route as needed.
You can not do that as easily with maglev.
 #1574406  by ApproachMedium

Changing platform heights isnt easy either. Freight trains and high level platforms do not mix. that is why the rest of the country does not use them. If they do, they either have no freight interference, light duty trains like boxcar locals or the platforms have flip up edges to accommodate any wider loads. if anyone wants to know how this works see the north jersey coast line. Track 1 down to red bank has flip up platforms to handle anything beyond typical dimensions. The NEC runs freights down the center tracks, always has always will unless theres some kind of outage. And when there is, they usually end up ripping part of the rub rail off at Metropark.