Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1573933  by CR7876

Regarding " Plate F" cars. Currently no cars exceeding " Plate C" can make it past the bridges near the Perth Amboy NJT station on the NJCL.

Its a classic " What came first, the Chicken or the Egg" story. Nobody on the Southern or Freehold needs Plate F, because nobody on the Southern and Freehold can get Plate F. Woodhaven and Builders would probably love to have Plate F cars. Plywood is frequently moved in bigger "F" cars, it will allow the consignee to receive more product in less railcars, reducing potential demurrage charges.

On the DD/DRRV, three lumber mills now have access to "F" cars. Also two different sites for refers/insulated high cars are now available and seem to be doing good business. Something the Class One was not willing to do.

Nobody here can really say what the immediate benefit of increasing the clearance would be. My opinion would be in order to survive and potentially grow a traffic base you have to increase clearance.
 #1573934  by R&DB

#1573933 by CR7876
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:32 pm
Regarding " Plate F" cars. Currently no cars exceeding " Plate C" can make it past the bridges near the Perth Amboy NJT station on the NJCL.
Browns can be reached via Monmouth Jct. with Plate F, but Amtrak kinda frowns on freight. If it did come in that way it would probably originate in PA or Pavonia due to the configuration of the switch. As Bracdude mentioned several posts back the other current obstruction is Tinton Ave bridge in Eatontown. Also I have heard NJT doesn't want tall stuff on the Coast Line due to the catenary.
 #1573948  by JohnFromJersey

I think we have to consider that allowing Plate F cars would bring back some old customers. Haddon House has a GIANT warehouse in Howell that has a siding connection, but doesn't use it anymore; allowing Plate F on the line with this upgrade will most certainly allow them usage of large refrigerated cars. That's just one example, I believe there's a landscaping supply somewhere in Tinton Falls that also had/has a siding they don't use anymore.

In addition, Howell and surrounding towns are having a lot of warehouses try to move in; there is potential for small transloading facilities or Warehouses next to the tracks to materialize once this upgrade is complete.

Speaking of warehouses, isn't the one by the 34/33 junction now a Tile place? Will they consider rail access, since the "for lease" sign that used to be there advertised it?
 #1573970  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:08 pm SA31 Eastbound at Cross Street 10:07 PM
let's see 23miles (Bank to Cross St run-around) in 6H 6M. Efficient. Any questions why this line needs a re-build and a different operator?
 #1573972  by Bracdude181

@R&DB Not too bad of a run, but could be faster. The current record for fastest run (to my knowledge and with the speed restrictions in place on the Southern) is held by one SA93 crew who I’m not familiar with. Sayerville to Lakewood and back in 6-7 hours and it was 4452 leading.
 #1573976  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:46 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:08 pm SA31 Eastbound at Cross Street 10:07 PM
let's see 23miles (Bank to Cross St run-around) in 6H 6M. Efficient. Any questions why this line needs a re-build and a different operator?
Who knows, seems like Conrail wasn't interested in the line, as shown with the tracks steadily getting worse over the years; I believe when this thread was created nearly two decades ago, a hot topic was when they lowered the Southern's Speed Limit.

As seen with growing national trends, the Class I's would rather focus on large customers or bulk shipping than with many branch lines. A lot of shortlines have come to fill some of these voids, and many times ran it better; RJ Corman comes to mind
 #1573991  by R&DB

Bracdude wrote:
Sayerville to Lakewood and back in 6-7 hours
Exactly my point, it can be done efficiently, as long as there is no dilly-dallying. Imagine the time savings if much of the line could be brought to Class 2? 2.5 times the speed. Of course they'd still have to crawl through places like Lakewood.
 #1574002  by Bracdude181

PR19 clear of the Coast Line at 1:36

Somehow they got out of Lakewood, drilled Bel Ray, and have almost gotten the train back to Browns in Three and a half hours!!!

Now THATS efficient!