Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA to remove COVID-19 capacity limits for transit

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1572072  by zebrasepta

As COVID-19 cases across the region drop, more people get vaccinated, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the City of Philadelphia ease indoor capacity related restrictions, effective TUESDAY, JUNE 1, 2021 the PANDEMIC RELATED LIMITS on the number of customers allowed on ALL SEPTA VEHICLES will be REMOVED.
http://www.septa.org/covid-19/
 #1572760  by rcthompson04

Drove by Exton, Malvern, Paoli and Daylesford between 1030 and 11 this morning. Here is the approximate parking usage:

Exton - 20%
Malvern - 60%
Paoli - 40%
Daylesford- maybe 10%

Running service primarily from Malvern east with limited service west appears to be driving traffic to Malvern.
 #1573830  by Cbattz

What are the chances we'll see the return of limited and express trains this summer? Scaling up to New York commuting patterns, I saw Metro North is bringing back several rush hour express trains come Monday. I miss my manic Friday afternoon NJ Transit express - Trenton local - Paoli limited rides that would get me from NYC-Main Line in under 3 hours :P
 #1574189  by CNJGeep

Cbattz wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:48 am What are the chances we'll see the return of limited and express trains this summer?
Nil. Don't get your hopes too high for improved service after labor day either.
 #1574238  by PHLSpecial

CNJGeep wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:49 pm
Cbattz wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:48 am What are the chances we'll see the return of limited and express trains this summer?
Ridership that low because people don't want to use public transit or that everyone is still working from home?
 #1574244  by rcthompson04

PHLSpecial wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 am
CNJGeep wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:49 pm
Ridership that low because people don't want to use public transit or that everyone is still working from home?
Anecdotally I think it is primarily people working from home still. In my office it is voluntary return so I am going in 2 days a week. A handful of us are going in and we are taking Regional Rail, walking or taking PATCO.

The conductor on my train this morning said it was 2/3 full and the few trains after it on the line are near capacity. Morning 4 or 5 car trains on the Paoli-Thorndale Line at 2/3 to near capacity is an improvement, but nowhere near pre-pandemic numbers.
 #1574250  by ChesterValley

Personally I haven't been using SEPTA as the R5's frequency on weekends is poor enough I'd rather just pay an inconvenience fee parking in the city rather than finding out what new thing broke on my SEPTA key. Drexel and other universities are beginning to go back to in person classes, and I do know that some businesses in the defense sectors are starting to mandate going back in person.

Looking at the future of work, it seems that people are more inclined to work hybrid weeks, 3 days in 2 days at home. I'm not sure how that would affect operations on Commuter style rail, or even if that will hold. For a type of industry whose procurement is dependent on 5-10 year projections on ridership...I'm not too sure where SEPTA should focus with too many things in the air.

SEPTA does need to promote more mass transit usage, the amount of times I keep having to remind people that they won't get mugged on regional rail is a bit confusing. It wasn't that bad before or during the pandemic.
 #1574258  by van2005ko

Cbattz wrote:What are the chances we'll see the return of limited and express trains this summer? Scaling up to New York commuting patterns, I saw Metro North is bringing back several rush hour express trains come Monday. I miss my manic Friday afternoon NJ Transit express - Trenton local - Paoli limited rides that would get me from NYC-Main Line in under 3 hours :P
Slim to none. According to Kastle only 30 percent of those whom typically work in an office has returned back to work.

https://www.kastle.com/safety-wellness/ ... -barometer

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

#1574271  by rcthompson04

ChesterValley wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:57 pm SEPTA does need to promote more mass transit usage, the amount of times I keep having to remind people that they won't get mugged on regional rail is a bit confusing. It wasn't that bad before or during the pandemic.
I have never felt unsafe on the Regional Rail in 13 years. I have probably never felt safe the whole drive between Chester County and Center City.
 #1574497  by ChesterValley

https://www.inquirer.com/transportation ... 10624.html
SEPTA will rely on pandemic aid it has received from Washington to offset the drop in fare revenue and to ratchet up the frequency of service by the fall to about 60% of pre-pandemic levels on Regional Rail and 96% of the normal schedule on transit: buses, subways, trolleys, and the Norristown High Speed Line.

For SEPTA operations, the big question is whether riders will come back and when. Rich Burnfield, the agency’s chief financial officer, said transit ridership is now at about 40% of pre-COVID levels, and Regional Rail ridership is at about 20% of normal.
 #1574547  by PHLSpecial

If Septa wants ridership to come back they can't sit on there hands. They need to actively market why Septa is a asset not some last ditch transportation method. The need to increase frequency. Especially on the regional rail, why are the even running the large sets? Can't the run a bunch of 2-3 car sets to at least get the frequency to every 1 hour instead of two?
Last edited by nomis on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
 #1574549  by rcthompson04

The numbers are pretty reflective of the number of people going to the office. I am pretty skeptical of SEPTA’s ability to impact this dynamic. Until employees are forced back to the offices ridership will remain depressed.
Last edited by nomis on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote