Railroad Forums 

• We're Back - Of Sorts

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1573746  by Gilbert B Norman

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/15/gm-part ... tives.html

Fair Use:
General Motors and Wabtec Corp. are partnering to develop and commercialize the automaker’s battery and fuel cell technologies for locomotives.
The companies have signed a nonbinding memorandum of understanding for GM to engineer and supply its battery and fuel cell systems for Wabtec locomotives.
Wabtec has developed and tested a battery-electric locomotive called FLXdrive, which is powered by about 18,000 battery cells
I suppose that Swedish kid has "threatened" to come over here and chain herself to the rails, unless the roads "acquiesce" to her "agenda". But I think it will be a "hard sell" considering how many locomotives have in storage owing to the efficiencies they have learned through "The Gospel According to Saint Elwood" (PSR).

Someone must establish to the Class I's that there is a "breakthrough" akin to Diesels v. Steam for them to bite. That Swedish kid will not be enough.
 #1574035  by Allen Hazen

We may be seeing a "Nixon goes to China" moment in the shifting of alliances: the two partners in this project are Wabtech, who bought out General Electric's locomotive business, and General Motors, who left the locomotive business some time back when they sold EMD.
 #1574694  by PCook

One significant problem with battery locomotives is that if anything goes wrong, and there is a lot of electrical potential sitting there all the time ready for action, the combustion has many of the same characteristics as a chemical fire in a pile of tires.

PC
 #1588381  by Engineer Spike

Good point Mr. Cook. I was once on a Green Goat, which was hauled dead in a locomotive consist I was running. I had to leave a daily inspection form in the cab, and noticed quite a bit of fire suppression equipment, as well as instructions in case of a battery fire.
 #1588382  by Engineer Spike

I suppose that Swedish kid has "threatened" to come over here and chain herself to the rails, unless the roads "acquiesce" to her "agenda". But I think it will be a "hard sell" considering how many locomotives have in storage owing to the efficiencies they have learned through "The Gospel According to Saint Elwood" (PSR).

You ought to watch a couple of episodes of Zip Ties n Bias Plies on Youtube. They fool around with old trucks and equipment. They roast Greta pretty well. I'd love to maker her watch a pair of Alcos switching a good sized cut of cars.
 #1588384  by eolesen

Meh. I don't believe railroads have any liabilities regarding trespasser injury.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1588408  by eolesen

I'm referring to the consequences if that Swedish kid chained herself to our rails...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1592210  by BandA

I've read that lithium batteries are usually lithium flouride, which when burned forms HF - hydroflouric acid. Which is supposed to be pretty dangerous.