Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1573741  by bostontrainguy

Maybe not easily done, but I'm thinking that if the toilet was actually under the seat and you had to flip up the seat to use it, it would be out-of-sight out-of-mind for most of the time. You also didn't have to sleep next to it which I think is a problem for some.
 #1573748  by Alphaboi

STrRedWolf wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:06 am Wholly concur, Mr. ExCon.

I can recall on a 1990 journey overseas, "walking down the hall to the WC" at Hotel Gare du Nord in Paris. Back then, "it was cheap and convenient to the Station and the RATP". You wouldn't catch me at it today. While I hardly need "Le George le Cinquième", I do expect US major brand amenities.

Same song same trip in Sevilla. That one was arranged by friends residing there; "didn't have the heart" to check out - so I endured three nights.

On a 1960 journey with family; Paris Est-Stuttgart (set out; pick up the new Bennie) on the Orient Express, the Wagon Lit had Chamber pots in each room - discretely out of sight.
I only know of one place with a shared bathroom down the hall -- the Jane Hotel in NYC. They advertise it as such on their web site. Good for an overnight stay.
Pod 51 also has solo & twin rooms with shared baths. Personally I don't have a problem with it. I've also stayed in historic b&bs with shared baths.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

#1573749  by Red Wing

I think the big difference from the toilet in the rooms is back in the day everything went down to the tracks. Now you have the "new" toilets that flush and leave a smell.
 #1573751  by bostontrainguy

Red Wing wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:02 pm I think the big difference from the toilet in the rooms is back in the day everything went down to the tracks. Now you have the "new" toilets that flush and leave a smell.
Yeah but those "drop" toilets rattled like hell. Would be a noisy ride.
 #1573752  by Gilbert B Norman

Alphaboi wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:56 pm I've also stayed in historic b&bs with shared baths
There are simply travelers like me who hold to "the best surprise is no surprise". But I respect, Mr. Alphaboi, you apparently hold differently.

This presents me with a dilemma for my 60th Reunion at South Kent School come September. I have no use whatever for the likes of Fife and Drum, Cornwall Inn, and other "B&B establishments" in Litchfield County CT. Not dumps, "clean as a whistle", but "unpredictable".

BTW, they all know of and charge New York rates.

I booked at one in New Milford - NY rates, but at least "...no surprise" amenities. The nearest "majors" are in Danbury.
 #1573790  by STrRedWolf

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:46 am Maybe not easily done, but I'm thinking that if the toilet was actually under the seat and you had to flip up the seat to use it, it would be out-of-sight out-of-mind for most of the time. You also didn't have to sleep next to it which I think is a problem for some.
In the V-1's, it was right next to the seat and at night, it sloshed. Considering human anatomy... yeah, that was a bad idea putting it in each Roomette in the first place. Putting a dedicated toilet across from the bath/shower room in the V-2's was a better idea.
 #1574068  by JimBoylan

electricron wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:24 pmViewliner 2 = 2 Rooms with, 1 Handicap room with, 12 Roomettes without, and 2 shared toilets. That sums up to 5 toilets for 30 passengers, or one toilets for every 6 passengers. It is a lot worse when you look at 2 shared toilets for 24 passengers, around one toilet for every 12 passengers. Eeeeeek!
I think the 2 shared toilets in a Viewliner II replace the 12th Roomette, so it's 2 shared toilets for 22 passengers, around one toilet for every 11 passengers.
 #1574166  by PHLSpecial

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:46 am Maybe not easily done, but I'm thinking that if the toilet was actually under the seat and you had to flip up the seat to use it, it would be out-of-sight out-of-mind for most of the time. You also didn't have to sleep next to it which I think is a problem for some.
You are just rebuilding the V1 again. I'm not sure what you are getting here.
Besides that is just more plumbing which add to the cost.
Finally I personally not use a toilet where I sleep.
 #1576334  by CSRR573

There's a PTC test train in Boston and I believe the second car in the 3 car consist is a Viewliner II 625xx
 #1576573  by bostontrainguy

There is a photo of what the photographer says is yesterday's 449 on another site that shows a P32ACDM dual-mode engine pulling TWO Viewliners. The first one looks like a VI and the second one looks like a VII. After that there are at least two Amfleets. Maybe this is the test train mentioned above? Just a strange consist.
 #1578797  by dgvrengineer

bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:49 am
dgvrengineer wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:27 am I heard Amtrak sent two units and a spacer car to pick up the last two sleepers. One of the units is #100 the 50th Anniversary locomotive.
Wow . . . is it really over?
Yeah, that went fast! Seems like only a decade ago since they were ordered.