Railroad Forums 

• Brightline Orlando (MCO) and Disney Extension - PHASE 2

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1573181  by Gilbert B Norman

Wow, that's a train!!!

Absent appears to be any Container traffic, which I presume is handled on other trains. I've sure seen it further "down below".

I know I was mistaken with my skepticism about Brightline, on which I have taken six "very enjoyable" joyrides to date. But the fact remains that with their "Disneyland" Miami WPB service, they never once "made numbers". One can only hope such will no longer be the case when (and it sure appears when) the full line to McCoy, and now apparently to Disneyland, is opened.

Now so far as the "private sector" bit goes. There I remain skeptical. The privately placed bonds were "oh, such a deal!!". Where else in this world can an investor get a Tax Free 8%???? (Private Activity Bonds; Federal Tax free; taxable State, but Florida does not have an Income Tax. They did have an Asset Tax with lots of exemptions, but that has now been repealed). While there is no salutatory "government guarantee" of PAB's, the Private Placement was reportedly made amongst well connected Florida "movers and shakers". Who they are need not and is not disclosed, but I'd dare say if Brightline "bellies" as a private sector concern, there is a legislature that "can be moved" to quietly purchase the bonds from the holders - maybe not Par, but something in the league of such.

Operations would likely continue; for the incumbent Florida political class, where The Villages seems to have more clout than do Broward and Dade, sure enjoys "waving it in the face" of how better the private sector is than the public.
 #1576026  by gprimr1

Arlington wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:54 pm Multiple reports (probably from the same source) say that Disney Springs is to be the agreed site of the Brightline Station.

This makes sense, since Disney Springs is
1) already a transport node for WDW (you can see the bus bays in the link at #2, below)
2) already multimodal (as home to the Lime and Grapfruit garages) (which seem to have a large median between them)
3) already a "transition zone" between "not Disney" and full Disney Control, that allows space for other "branded experiences" like Brightline
4) allows for minimal diversion out of the I-4 median (or might even still *be* in the median)

Typical report:
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/stat ... -agreement
I've seen this reported on Disney fan sites as well. This is an extremely smart decision for Disney as well. Disney Springs is basically an open air mall and entertainment district. No admission fees or anything to enter though. So not only could people take the train to Disney proper, locals could use it for an evening at Disney Springs.
 #1576068  by Pensyfan19

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:26 pm Report today on the local news that Universal now also wants a station!
I remember something like this happened the last time Universal wanted a station. It did not end well for any side.
Florida proposed a high speed train along the same route as Brightline. Universal wanted a route that stopped at Universal and Disney. Disney wanted a route that only stopped at Disney to prevent losing customers. Both sides argues for months. Project was cancelled due to lack of agreement on route.
 #1576085  by eolesen

It would be foolish not to have a station near Universal and International Drive. That's where the convention center is. Disney might see it as competition but people coming for conventions do go see the Mouse as well...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1576194  by electricron

BandA wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:02 pm Can it stop at both without re-routing?
Universal is located southwest of the Florida Turnpike and I-4 interchange, Disney World is located northwest of the I-4 and SH-417 interchange. Brightline is planning on using SH-417 right-of-way to get to I-4 from the airport. Per Google Earth, it is more than 8 miles between those two interchanges along I-4. To triangle up northwest in the Florida Turnpike and then head southwest on I-4 is 21 miles, compared to heading directly west on SH-417 to I-4 at 10 miles. So doing so reroutes the train more than an additional 11 miles at least. And that's me doing the measuring quickly, it certainly could be more.

Good luck with that.
 #1576217  by eolesen

Seems like a foolish routing. You cut out the second and third largest draws to the area in bypassing the convention center and Sea World/Universal.

Disney pretends to be the only game in town, but with tickets now over $100 per person per day, they've priced lots of middle class tourists out of visiting the resort.Image

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Last edited by eolesen on Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1576275  by BandA

So the amusement-park price has essentially tripled over 30 years; Will Brightline require an "E" ticket? Or an e-ticket?

I'm confused; If you want to go from Orlando Airport Station eventually to Tampa, can you stop at both Disney Springs and Universal/Convention-Center? Or will you have to transfer to the Monorail?
 #1576292  by Gilbert B Norman

Would you believe it?

I still have a 1983 issued Disneyland pass with one day open remaining; I understand it never expires.

Fat chance at my age, and with no Grandchildren, that will ever be used. The only conceivable way I could think is if Brightline opens to Disneyland while "I'm still enough with it" to take a joyride, I go over to Epcot "just to take a nostalgic peek".

disclaimer: author long DIS
 #1576437  by bostontrainguy

Worst Brightline "interview" ever:

Behind The Tracks gives you a sneak peek at what’s going on behind the scenes at Brightline as we gear up to welcome everyone back aboard. This week we asked Manny, Superintendent of Rail Operations, to answer 21 questions about what his days are like as he makes sure our trains are ready to go.