Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1568645  by MattAmity90

BobLI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:19 pm It’s been a long time since I’ve been on L I. Are the tracks still at grade level except where the previous elevations are?
There are several grade crossings still existing, haven't really missed anything. Although I'm not sure if you knew that Herricks Road was eliminated in 1998, and Roslyn Road was eliminated in 2008. They have however done renewal work on several. Stewart Avenue in Bethpage now has crossing signals on median islands, Little Neck Parkway is now a 4-quadrant gated crossing, a couple of Brentwood crossings now have flashing lights well above the crossbucks, and of course the flashing lights are now all LED.
 #1568653  by Head-end View

Yes Bob. There have been no elevation projects in recent years. The big change is the ongoing Third Track Project from Floral Park to Hicksville which has eliminated all grade crossings on that stretch. They have all been replaced by underpasses. (Roads go under the tracks) And two have been eliminated altogether.
 #1568720  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:41 pm Yes Bob. There have been no elevation projects in recent years. The big change is the ongoing Third Track Project from Floral Park to Hicksville which has eliminated all grade crossings on that stretch. They have all been replaced by underpasses. (Roads go under the tracks) And two have been eliminated altogether.
Now that you mentioned the Third Track Project, it is also worth noting that about two and a half years ago we finished the Double-Track project on the Ronkonkoma Branch. Now we have two serviceable, continuous tracks from Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma. Started in August 2015 and completed in September 2018. Now Pinelawn and Wyandanch have two platforms.
 #1569088  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Queens Interlocking Switch Installation - Saturday/Sunday April 24-25 and May 1-2, 2021

There will be no weekend Main Line train service between Floral Park and Hicksville.
Alternate service is being provided in the usual manner similar to previous Mail Line track outages.

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/a ... n-2021.htm

The work season is "back on track" for 3TC...MACTRAXX
 #1569116  by Head-end View

Hmmm.............Queens Interlocking is west of Floral Park Station. As per the bulletin in the link, the shutdown is on the Main-Line from Jamaica to Hicksville. But wouldn't the Hempstead Branch have to be shut down too?

Or are they installing switches east of Floral Park Sta. on the Main-Line that will be part of Queens Interlocking?
 #1569435  by RestrictOnTheHanger

What is the speed limit for diverging moves over the switches in the new NASSAU 1 interlocking? I saw Edward Hand posted photos of them on Flickr and they dont look like high speed switches, though that could just be perspective.
 #1570943  by newkirk

I stopped by the Westbury station today.
Is this the ramp for the temporary platform ?
It's on the eastbound side.

#1572406  by MattAmity90

I haven't commented much nowadays due to constant stress, but I have noticed quite a few stunning changes to the Main Line.

1.) Essentially all of the original wooden poles have been taken down and replaced with new wooden poles, and obviously the steel erector-set poles. Aside from Carle Place and Merillon Avenue, all the old poles in NHP, and Westbury are gone.
2.) The pedestrian underpass at NHP is taking shape.
3.) Drainage system installation to the South of what will be the new Platform B at Mineola, along with concrete piers anchored.

The only questions I have:

1.) Are we close to or are the new trestles being constructed at Willis Avenue? Edward and some people can't seem to get a good angle.
2.) Pole replacement at the former site of NASSAU 1.
3.) Westbury construction. Something tells me temporary platforms will be installed near or next to School Street.
 #1572817  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Here is the June 2021 monthly report on the Third Track Project:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2021/06/01/up ... june-2021/
Those on the 3TC email list receive this update each month.

There are three upcoming weekend LIRR track outage programs mentioned:
June 12-13: New Hyde Park Station 12th Street Pedestrian Underpass placement
June 26-27: Willis Avenue (Mineola) Underpass Placement (Oyster Bay Branch only)
July 10-11: Willis Avenue (Mineola) Underpass Placement (Main Line)

With the Summer work season beginning it will be interesting to see how the Third Track Project
progresses for the rest of this year...MACTRAXX
 #1573590  by MattAmity90

Right now as we speak, the new Twelfth Street underpass is being laid down. Unlike the grade crossing eliminations, this will see a crane lifting precast segments similar to boxes at the site. They have excavated and removed everything at the site, there is a massive gap with the tracks taken out, and the crane will lower those segments in that gap. Afterwards, they will put the tracks back in, and we shouldn't have any issues come tomorrow.

Finally the eyesore of seeing the concrete pads left over from the crossing will be gone. Ramps and stairs however, I have no clue how far along they are when it comes to that, but all I know is they are putting in the tube and there are openings on both sides of the tracks that will mark the entrances/exits of the underpass. As soon as that is squared away, both platforms A and B (under construction) will be lengthened from 10 to 12 cars. The temporary B platform will not be extended.

Two weeks from now the Willis Avenue bridge for the Oyster Bay Branch will be box-jacked Northerly. One month from now on the second weekend of July, the Willis Avenue bridge for the Main Line will be box-jacked Southerly.

Getting steps closer, but after these are pushed into place and open up, then Main Street I guess will see the signals finally ripped out, and the unfortunate demise of NASSAU Tower. Mineola's new Platform B is under construction, has been erected, but now they have the big section that will include the ticket offices on the South side next to the Intermodal Center.