Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Extension Lechmere to Medford

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1569289  by rethcir

GLX stations will get fare validators. Proof of payment system will be established with roaming teams of inspectors. Tickets will be non-criminal, they will report non-payment of the citations to the RMV, but doesn't sound like there's much stopping you from giving a false name.
 #1571468  by andrewjw

Operation of similar systems elsewhere often involves a police officer accompanying the fare inspectors - failure to provide proof of purchase might not be criminal but falsifying information to the fare inspector is. That threat is usually enough.
 #1572435  by Charliemta

From discussions on Archboston.com, it could be for a future Green Line branch to Everett and Chelsea via Sullivan.
Last edited by CRail on Sat May 29, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unneccessary quote removed.
 #1572450  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I have been following the project from the beginning and I don't remember any pre-planed build in for another branch. That would be nice.

I think, and I cant find it now, that junction was an additional lead to the maintenance yard. I bet someone here will know.

If I remember, I will look through our planning documents at work next week.
 #1572458  by ceo

Originally, those stubs were intended for leads to the maintenance facility, but at the time they didn't know where that was going to be. When the siting was finalized, it turned out to be easier to access it from the Medford Branch via a spur in the former Yard 8, near the Brickbottom building, and from the Union Square branch via a ground-level lead. However, the piers for the two stubs had already been built, and thanks to pressure from various advocacy groups, the stubs were completed anyway in order to facilitate a future Urban Ring light rail connection towards Sullivan.
 #1572477  by bostontrainguy

But there is no corresponding westbound connection

This also might have something to do with the "promise" to restore the Yard 8 loop track since the Greenline yard leads would have gone up and over that track. Putting everything at grade eliminated the possibility of the track restoration.
Last edited by CRail on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1572480  by ceo

bostontrainguy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 am But there is no corresponding westbound connection
This got hashed out on ArchBoston a while back. The theory is to convert the Grand Junction to light rail, and have it dive under the Fitchburg Line and come up between the Union Square Branch tracks, joining them right under the McGrath Highway bridge. Apparently there actually is room for this. I don't know if this plan has ever progressed beyond the transit nerd fever dream stage, however.
Last edited by ceo on Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1572502  by Charliemta

bostontrainguy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 am But there is no corresponding westbound connection
You're right. If a Green Line branch were built from here to Everett/Chelsea, then the inbound leg of the new line would have to either dip under or fly over the GLX mainline. My idea for a flyover for the inbound leg is shown in yellow:
 #1572508  by ceo

The existing stubs already provide for an eastbound connection towards Everett and Chelsea. It's the westbound connection that's a little more ambiguous.
 #1573269  by newpylong

ceo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:29 am
This got hashed out on ArchBoston a while back. The theory is to convert the Grand Junction to light rail, and have it dive under the Fitchburg Line and come up between the Union Square Branch tracks, joining them right under the McGrath Highway bridge. Apparently there actually is room for this. I don't know if this plan has ever progressed beyond the transit nerd fever dream stage, however.
It's a non-starter because of the complexity of having to go all the way out to Worcester to move equipment a couple miles (north to south side).